Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigging Wooten Town 17 degree's Brrrrrr

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gigging Wooten Town 17 degree's Brrrrrr

Well me and a buddy took the gigging boat down to Hooten Town last night. We had two other buddies meet us with there boat and off we headed down the river about 7 p.m. Yeah, you could say it was a little chilly. The steam coming off the water made it really hard to see for sure. There are some old timers around here that used to gig all the time but now they would just prefer to build a fire, hang out, shoot the Sh*%, drink and enjoy the company. So we did manage about 50 fish and when we returned to the ramp it's a good thing we did. We had about 15 old timers waiting on us with cooker's ready to go. Really good part about this is while we headed up to the fire to warm up they get right on the scaling, fileting, and scoring. Ice was a problem last night for sure. Gigging poles were freezing up, gloves were freezing up, beer was freezing in the can and trying to load out at the ramp was a real problem. Water had run on the ramp from when we pulled our trailers out so when loaded you had to back the truck back down in and then hook another truck to the truck with the trailer on it to pull it out. But we had a blast even in the 17 degree dark night. Gunner is the dog in the pictures and he's 9 months old. I think he even thought it was cold. He would just go up and lay beside the fire for a little while and then get back after it.

I know it's not Crappie fishing but still fishing/gigging related and thought I would share. Pictures are not very good, they were taken with my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by WantinCrappie; 12-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple other pictures. Billie said his eye balls were frozen shut.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

wow chris long time since I been gigging. young mans sport for sure, love the suckers, one question, were you on the james,and was it hooton town not wooton town, where they built the new bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

That brings back alot of memorys for me Chris. I always stayed on bank and keep the fire going and the fryers ready and of course keep the brew safe! Thanks for the post.
    Monk

Post Thanks / Like

You are correct Beagle. It is Hooten Town on the James River. Wish I could correct the spelling but it's in the subject so I don't guess I can. Man, that place floods every spring so the lay of the river has changed ever fall. You've got to re-learn the routes on the river every fall. We run a 50 horse jet so that helps some.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a true giggin' trip unless you fall in at least once during the night. Thanks Chris, haven't done it for a long time but great seeing variety on here. Memorable stuff for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a cold but fun night. At least you guys did not have to worry about keeping your beer cold, certainly a perk of being out in 17 degree weather!:D Glad you guys did good.

Post Thanks / Like

no problem chris, wish I was there with you, like longliner I to did the cooking,drinking,and sitting by the fire. we use to gig the elk river down ginger blue way and always had a heck of a good time,, thanks for the post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good time Chris! I think I would have to stay by the fire and peel taters though.......Brrrr
    Crappie.......its whats for dinner!!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a great time and even though I have never been gigging I have bow fished that way and it was a blast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast