Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream crappie vacation?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dream crappie vacation?

Where would you take your dream crappie vacation?

Im in the planning stages of a nice trip and our location is still flexible. Were going to be tent camping, but spring weather isnt a problem. Were from NC and planning on the southeast, but could go as far west as Texas. We would be trying to hit a few different lakes during travels, and we could spend as much time as 2 weeks.

We fish crappie hard all year here, and usually go to the beach for vacations. Our kids are big enough to rough it now, so we're looking for a change of scenery.

Where would you go?

nate
    God bless America

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky/Barkley are worth a stop. Plenty of camping and other activities in the LBL. Last week of March or first couple in Aprim are typically good there.

Weiss is almost a must. Pretty well interstate from Weiss to KY, so you could do both. For best results, you'll want to stay flexible so you can hit the lake that's really on when you go.

Post Thanks / Like

Mississippi, Grenada,Sardis,Arkubutla. Been my dream trip for years now, still havent made it.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

weiss is still a good one for sure but not like it was 10 years ago but the bama river chain is great
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vacation

Man there are so many great crappie lakes. Lake Weiss... Reelfoot Lake Tn... Ky Lake.... Sardis Lake Ms.... Grenada Lake, Ms .....

All these lakes have great camping sites. If your fishing with your children, Reelfoot Lake, Tn can't be beat for crappie and bluegill. The children will really enjoy the bluegill fishing.

If you are looking for lots of nice size crappie Sardis, Ms is hard to beat. And if you are trophy crappie hunting Grenada Lake, Ms has the biggest crappie in the nation, but you won't catch as many crappie as Sardis Lake.

If you decide on Reelfoot Lake, or any of the Ms. lakes I can help yall with what ever info you need...best area's, how and so on.

Good Luck.....crappie cowboy

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Being you're from the Tarheel, you could have several destinations and never be that far from home. Try this on for size. Leave home and pull into Lake Weiss area in a reasonable days drive. Fish 2 days on one of the best river systems there is. Strike camp and another Days drive across I-20 to Grenada Lake in MS. Fish 2 or maybe 3 days on a lake known for it's large fish. Strike camp and go to the Land Between The Lakes area on the Tennessee / Kentucky border and enjoy your choice of 2 lakes that are a "go to" for lots of folks from all over. Strike camp once more and make your way to East Tennessee for some dock shooting on Watts Bar Lake, or maybe some trolling on Douglas or Cherokee. From there you would be a short days drive to the house to put up all your fish and kick back a day or two before resuming the grind. I've always had a trip like this in my head. Soon as I get the wife to like to fish as much as I do, and teach her to swim, I might get it done. Enjoy your trip, wherever you should wind up going.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drill instructor View Post
    Mississippi, Grenada,Sardis,Arkubutla. Been my dream trip for years now, still havent made it.
    you nailed it DI, but I'm surprised no one mentioned the Santee Cooper lakes. You could hit Marion, Moultrie, and a short drive to Murray or even to Clarks Hill. I would hit Santee about the end of February if I was looking for big fish. For numbers I would wait till end of March or even April. The wind is the only thing about this area. You could end up sitting around drinking coffee. DI, if you decide to go to Ms. and need someone to split up the costs give me a call.

Good luck with your trip wherever you decide on.
    Burdawg
    "Stumphunter's Crappie Jigs" Prostaff

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would head for Arkansas. A day on Jerry Blake's boat and a day with Darryl Morris would be great. Those guys are consistently catching slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to hit em all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drill instructor View Post
    These are my home lakes, when I go on vacation, I go for blue water! Tuna, snapper, grouper, wahoo. I would like to fish Wiess, and some of the Ozark lakes are really beautiful. I love Norfork and Bull shoals, but they aren't really crappie destinations.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast