Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Keep your Jig Level?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Keep your Jig Level?

Many folks have said that it's important to keep the jig level while fishing it, so it presents the lure more naturally. What is the best knot to use to make sure that it stays as level as possible? I know Jim Porter advertises that the jigs he sells are intentionally made so they will balance. So often I find the the hook portion of the jig hangs down and I have to keep playing with it to keep it level. I don't own any Jim Porter jigs. I generally tie the palomar knot, then pull the knot to the inside part of the eyelet and call it good enough. You guys are the experts (IMHO). What tips or tricks do you use to keep the jig level? I understand if you are reeling it in all the time, that is is not an issue. In fact, some will tie a loop knot to give the jig even more freedom while it is being trolled or cast and retrieved. But for just 'still' fishing or occassionally jigging, what's a guy to do?

Thanks for any advise you can provide,

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Level jig

I use a trilene knot for jigging and ice fishing both.
    Keeps the jig level and has good knot strength.
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Surgeon's loop knot.

The Surgeon's Loop

Gman
    Thats it, loop knot will fix your problem.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Continue fishing like you have been, it makes know difference weather level or flat, presentation is the key too catching crappie. If I am fishing deep in winter lets say 50 foot. I use two loop knots with my jigs and a bell sinker on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

Use a no-knot or a quick snap (ie Grizz snap) on the jig. It hangs level and will also help to change it quickly when needed!

Post Thanks / Like

A loop knot or a snap is exactly the wrong thing if one wants a tail-heavy jig to hang level. (And ball-head jigs are almost all tail-heavy, having the same amount of lead ahead of the hook eye as behind it and nothing extra ahead to counterbalance the hook weight.)

I, too, use a Trilene knot, pulling it back slightly on the eye toward the hook point. It has to be repositioned after catching each fish.

Now, if one has a jig that was designed to hang level, that's when the loop knot is great, because it won't slide forward and stay forward when you fight a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Default round head vs ball head

I was taught the round heads had the barb cast into the head, and ball heads have no barb. The lighter weight ball head are more prone to be balanced. The hook adds a touch more weight, but the plastic adds buoyancy... which equals out (sorta). With the heavier jigs it starts to balance out a bit more. I use round heads when casting for a horizontal presentation and ball heads for vertical presentations or with the Yates indicators .

Post Thanks / Like

Smile loop knot

Loop Knot , when you put the jig in the water it will level up. If you us a trilene you have to continually to readjust your line on the jig head. Hold the jig by the head and pull the line towards the point of the hook at a angle. This make the line knot alittle off center of the eye and it will hang level. Bill Dance taught me this! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Now I know why I cannot catch crappies, my jig is not plumb!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast