Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New powder paint Air Brush...ho to?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New powder paint Air Brush...how to?

Just got me new air brush powder paint sprayer in (SAT.) from Luremaking.com. Now, how do u use it? Paul (Crappie Stalker) got me a air pressure regulator for me compressor. I am ready to paint something. Need some input here. All help muchly appreciated.

Tom
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 11-06-2005 at 08:15 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Get a water trap

I did a lot of air brush illustration when I was freelancing full time. I used a smaller, finer needle I imagine than what you'll be using, but the principal's the same. Since you're using an air compressor, you'll need to trap the moisture that naturally occurs in air. Otherwise, when you least want it, you'll get a blob of water mess up your work. I didn't use a compressor. Instead, I bought a couple of beverage tanks and had them filled with CO2. It has no moisture in it, and because it's compressed, lasted for many hours of solid airbrush work. I have a two-stage regulator -one gauge shows how much air I have and the other shows psi. For my work, I preferred 26 psi. Heavier paints require more pressure; inks require less. I worked in guache, which is an opaque watercolor - heavier than regular watercolor, but lighter than acrylics.

The number one rule for airbrushing is this: CLEAN IT WHEN YOU'RE FINISHED. If you let paint of any type dry on your needle, you're screwed.

Good luck and have fun. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some of those "American Chopper" shows were they powdercoat engine parts. Seems to put alot of dust in the air. You could make a little paint booth by using an open box and attaching a shop vac to the back of it,put an old sock over the hose end with a rubberband to help filter the dust. I got to see jfraley powdercoat some of his own jigs at the Teezur tournament, He just heats and dips his, they look great and dry very fast. I will have to try it someday myself.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Stalker
    I have seen some of those "American Chopper" shows were they powdercoat engine parts. Seems to put alot of dust in the air. You could make a little paint booth by using an open box and attaching a shop vac to the back of it,put an old sock over the hose end with a rubberband to help filter the dust. I got to see jfraley powdercoat some of his own jigs at the Teezur tournament, He just heats and dips his, they look great and dry very fast. I will have to try it someday myself.
    Weezer showed me the dipping technique Paul. I tried it. My handicraft at dipping sucked. ha. Better for me to keep chewing....
    Yep.. I gonna build me a little paint both...I got some ideas off internet...Just waiting for Mr. T to finish his special training classes so I can get some cheap labor on some of me projects here..

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default powder paint air sprayer

Tom, let me know how it works. I have been thinking about one myself. I have seen them online but never knew any one to use them.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention the respirator. I taught a friend o fmine how to airbrush and now she does custom motorcycle jobs. She has a spray booth with good ventilation and also wears a respirator. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

Default pic of paint rig and more questions

I got the rig together. Only money spent was for airbrush. I have air pressure at 10psi (recommended by airbrush people). The air gague jitters about. I would assume this is pulsating airi caused by the old piston type compressor here. I cannot feel the air pulsing at the airbrush nozzle. Now, will this cause problems when spraying, such as putting out lumps of powder paint? Sould I make an air resevoir to try to store some air and smmthe out the pulsating? I don't know what I am doing here...ha...Ain't no sense wasting good paint if the jitters will cause problems.

Tom
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 01-10-2009 at 02:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A tank might help, but I really don't know since I don't use a compressor. Most of the people I have know to use compressors use a small tank just so the thing doesn't run all the time. That's really annoying when you're working at a drawing board all day long.

The last place I art directed had a big central compressor with multiple outlets for the various artists and every now and then someone would let out with an epithet because of a blob splatting across their work. That's why I went to CO2.

You might want to check someplace like Dick Blick art supplies online just to see what they offer in comparison to what you're using. - Roberta

Post Thanks / Like

I never use a airbrush, but a small tank will stop the pulsating. The little autobody work I've done I would think that the pulsating would cause problems with the painting. I would just get a cheap air bubble from a auto parts store or wally world and plumb (tee) it into your system.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Heyt Tom:

You could get a small air tank and hook it up to the compressor with quick release couplings and then you could also use it for other things like airing up a low tire on your four wheeler etc.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast