Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minkota ap/pd troller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minkota ap/pd troller

last week was the first time i used my new minkota ap 55 lb thrust power drive i bought almost a month ago. used it about thirty minutes, no problem. then i picked it up, moved to a new location and dropped it and it wouldnt turn to the left or right. motor would run straight ahead but wouldnt turn. the ap light would come on but the motor wouldnt turn to the left or right. after an hour or so, i tried it again and it was working fine. worked fine the rest of the day.. today done the same thing, but this time when it wouldnt work, i unhooked the power supply and hooked it back up and it started working. worked the rest of the day with no problem.. anybody got any thoughts on why its working to start off with, then stops working and when i unhook the power then hook it back up and it works perfectly all day?
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Rango:

It's just screwing with you!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure the 2 collars are locked together rightthe bottom collar will turn but top 1 wont til their locked together. hope this helps

BIG LEO

Post Thanks / Like

rango, sounds like my boat, you didnt borrow mine did you lol?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bella
    Make sure the 2 collars are locked together rightthe bottom collar will turn but top 1 wont til their locked together. hope this helps
    I checked that first thing but the motor wasnt even coming on to turn the collar

Post Thanks / Like

I got three days left on the 30 day return policy bps has so im gonna call em this am and see what they got to say about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Those motors have an electronic control board which is very sensitive to power and voltage. Try cleaning your electrical connections both at it's power plug, battery and the foot control connection. Also at the co pilot connection if you have one of them. I've experienced the same problem and cleaning connections has been the cure.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Those motors have an electronic control board which is very sensitive to power and voltage. Try cleaning your electrical connections both at it's power plug, battery and the foot control connection. Also at the co pilot connection if you have one of them. I've experienced the same problem and cleaning connections has been the cure.
    I totally agree. Most intermittent electrical failures are due to loose connections, usually user connections. Most people do not understand how TIGHT a power connection (at the battery) has to be, especially for a high current load like a trolling motor. Never trust "finger tight" on battery wingnuts for a trolling motor. Clean the connections with a wire brush (or exercise them by plugging in and out many times), grease them with anti-oxidant grease or at least WD40, and tighten wingnuts with pliers or use nuts and tighten with a wrench. Don't go crazy though, it is not a cylinder head bolt. Use antioxidant grease on the other user connections for the motor. I use CaiLube M260Cp on all my 12v marine connections and I have had NO problems at all in the 12 years since. In a pinch, use almost any grease on your battery connections and expect an improvement.
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what the problem was. all the connections was as tight as i could get em, within reason. i solved the problem today. Not being one to accept the fact that a $660.00 motor should be startin life aboard the beast working intermittenly, i returned it to bass pro today and they exchanged it for another one. tomorrow ill mount it and start over.....

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know what happens!
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast