Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question 2 on sonar??????

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question 2 on sonar??????

I can't get a straight answer on this either. When you adjust the sensitivity of the sonar, are u adjusting the gain of the transmitter or the gain of the receiver? I called reps and got 2 different answers. Me, I think u just adjusting receiver gain (even with zoom). I base this on how ultrasound (air) works. Not sure. I too lazy too look up answers here....ha
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no expert but...changing the sensitivity = changing receiver gain makes sense to me...Seems if you changed the transmitter you would also need to change the transponder or it would give you a false reading.

bella is offline Moderator TX Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

CP I don't think it is possibe to increase the sensitivity of the sonar, I mean aren't they all are operating at the full capacity they have all the time reqargless of make or model??

Therefore you are increaseing the sensitivity, which would logically be all you have the power to increase. Am I missing something here?
    JIM 1

"If you aren't Aijrborn, you are just another leg."

HydroGrafx Guest

The transmit strength does not change unless you have a sonar that you can select high or low output power (or in between). Most consumer sonars transmit at a constant strength or amplitude. Better survey grade sounders allow several output power choices.

Gain adjusts the sensitivity of the microphone (so to speak). It's like turning down your hearing aid when your wife is yelling at you.

P. Hahs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGrafx
    The transmit strength does not change unless you have a sonar that you can select high or low output power (or in between). Most consumer sonars transmit at a constant strength or amplitude. Better survey grade sounders allow several output power choices.

Gain adjusts the sensitivity of the microphone (so to speak). It's like turning down your hearing aid when your wife is yelling at you.

P. Hahs
    What u saying here is that the "lower end" sonars ($1000.00 or less) is a receiver only adjustment. Just what I thought. So, how can anyone think they can extend the cone angle by adjusting the sensitivity? Can't happen as far as I can see. I would assume then that some of the manuf. over exagurate the capabilities of their lower end products...ha

Tom

HydroGrafx Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    What u saying here is that the "lower end" sonars ($1000.00 or less) is a receiver only adjustment. Just what I thought. So, how can anyone think they can extend the cone angle by adjusting the sensitivity? Can't happen as far as I can see. I would assume then that some of the manuf. over exagurate the capabilities of their lower end products...ha

Tom
    Yes, most sonars we commonly use are receiver only adjustment (gain/sensitivity).

Do you have an example of a manufacturer that claims to extend (or widen)the cone angle by adjusting the sensitivity?

If you really want to make your noggin' spin go to www.airmar.com
    They manufacturer most, if not all transducers we use. Find your way to any transducer page and then choose "Cross-reference guide", then "Frequency and technical data". Take a look at the Transmit Radiation patterns for various transducers.

That should make it all clear as mud.

PH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Tom
    Sensitivity adjust changes the receiver gain.
    Cone angle is a transmit measurement, inherent in the transducer, and changing the receiver gain does not change it.
    However, if you increase the sensitivity enough to pick up an object that was previously invisible, because it was at the outer edge of the cone, you could say that the visible cone angle was increased. At the same time though, you may flood the received signal with noise from the center of the cone. So it is NOT CORRECT to say increasing the sensitivity increases the cone angle.
    As was stated, some sonars have adjustable cone angles by switching between different transducer crystals, and some more elaborate sonars may have adjustable transmit power.
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Default interesting stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGrafx
    Yes, most sonars we commonly use are receiver only adjustment (gain/sensitivity).

Do you have an example of a manufacturer that claims to extend (or widen)the cone angle by adjusting the sensitivity?

If you really want to make your noggin' spin go to www.airmar.com
    They manufacturer most, if not all transducers we use. Find your way to any transducer page and then choose "Cross-reference guide", then "Frequency and technical data". Take a look at the Transmit Radiation patterns for various transducers.

That should make it all clear as mud.

PH
    I couldn't find me xducer on the list.. Must be a cheap skimmer. Lowrance 102c. Couldn't find anything on it.

Post Thanks / Like

See if this will help clear it up.
    http://www.hightechfishing.com/other...e_Tutorial.pdf
    Pete