Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pulled the plug on Smithville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulled the plug on Smithville

Dumping started again today 1200 gps. It way be a while before it settles down. Jim C.

Post Thanks / Like

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06821150 Little Platte River at Smithville, MO

not sure what they are doing,graph looks like an EKG the last few weeks.

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard they can only drop the lake about 4 inches a day (?) and with it still over a foot high hopefully it will stop soon. The cold weather coming in should turn them on. I'd like to brave the cold Friday if it's going to be worth the effort and cold feet.

Post Thanks / Like

They are trying to get the water down heading into winter. Once the lake ices up they can't drop it. Imagine droping the lake 2 feet and leaving the docks suspended! The water level plan calls for a two foot drop starting in mid-December. We do this to have some buffer heading into the spring months. That way when the spring rains come we have a better chance of keeping the water level stable to slightly rising through the spawn. It also lets moist soil plants like smartweed get started in the early spring. This makes for some good fish habitat later in the spring. There is method to our madness...well some of the time! Hopefully the colder weather coming will get the crappie going good. I haven't caught one in two weeks. I'm getting the shakes!

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Inside Information

They are shutting her down to 8 until December 23 at which time they will open the flood gates again for a two foot winter draw down. Fishing should pick up quick. It has already started check out the link above.

Post Thanks / Like

turned off again...kinda like my grandkids...shut the door...make up your mind-in or out!