Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line weight and hook size

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line weight and hook size

just curious what what line weight and hook size members are using when fishing minnows.
    Vietnam Vet
    RECONATACRON-7,
    USS ENTERPRISE CVAN-65

Post Thanks / Like

6 lb line and #2 arbedeen bronze wire hook.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

10 lb powerpro main line, 12 pound florocarbon leader, #2 red tru-turns

kinda heavy, but I get into a lot of cats sometimes and I like being able
    to put a little pressure on 'em, get 'em in and unhook the slimy jokers asap.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

ditto, for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
    6 lb line and #2 arbedeen bronze wire hook.

Post Thanks / Like

12 lb Big Game and 1/0, 2/0 Matzuo sickle hooks.

For those that use the Tru-Turns...I used them for years, and they're good hooks, but noticed that I hooked a lot of crappie in the side of mouth (the soft part), and lost fish. With the sickle hook, I hook far more in the roof of the mouth (the hard part), and lose far fewer fish.

Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

6 or 8 lb. Sufix mono and a #2 or 1/0 hook...usually gold, but sometimes red.

Post Thanks / Like

10# P-Line CX and either #1 or #2 hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

8# vicious yellow or green with a #2 gold, bronze, or red true turn hook. I have been playing with the matzuo sickle hooks and the jury is out on them. I have seen some improvement in the catch ratio but they are also taking the hook deeper and to some extent to deep and killing the fish. So I am going to a larger hook to see if it makes a defference and helps any.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always the odd man out in these matters...because for spider riggin I use 15 lb. Berkley Big Game in florescent green.....tied to a #2 Eagle Claw 214EL....

Watchin 10 - 12 poles I don't have time to be retying after breakin off with lighter line...

When I get hung up...I've gotta get that hook straightened out, reshaped, rebaited and back in the water....because that's where the fish are...in the water....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joe,
    I have read a lot of threads and no one has mentioned the rig I fish with over brush piles. Here goes...I use an ultra light rod with spinning reel. I spool it up with 60-80 lb braided line and use a 3/8 oz brass slip sinker, red glass bead and swivel-snap. I buy the snelled leaders from Walmart with a #2 gold hook.

The good part about the braided line is it is super sensitive and you can mark the depth you fish with a short tag of red thread. I usually fish between 10-20 ft deep. I measure the line and mark it with the needle and thread at 12ft and 18ft from the hook. I actually pierce the braid with the needle so the thread doesn't slip up and down the line. When I catch a crappie at 16 ft I notice that the 18 ft thread is 2 ft out of the water and I go right back to same depth and get another one.

I used to let the weight go to the bottom and count the revolutions of the reel till I get a crappie but this other method is much better. You don't take a chance on hanging up at the deeper levels. I mark all the rod n reels the same way so everyone knows the depth to fish. It is very productive. If you are fishing two feet high or low in a brush pile most of the time you won't get bit.

The good part about the heavy braid line is when you hang up and break off... all you lose is the snelled leader and it is easy to replace and you're back in business. You don't lose your depth markings.

I have used this rig for 15 years on Sam Rayburn and caught thousands of crappie over brush piles. Try it...you might just like it.

DRD
    Keep the lid on it !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast