PDA

View Full Version : Line weight and hook size

Joe Tilghman
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM
just curious what what line weight and hook size members are using when fishing minnows.

Herewego
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
6 lb line and #2 arbedeen bronze wire hook.

J White
11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
10 lb powerpro main line, 12 pound florocarbon leader, #2 red tru-turns :)

kinda heavy, but I get into a lot of cats sometimes and I like being able
to put a little pressure on 'em, get 'em in and unhook the slimy jokers asap.

speck tackler
11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
ditto, for me...

6 lb line and #2 arbedeen bronze wire hook.

Gamblinman
11-30-2009, 01:32 PM
12 lb Big Game and 1/0, 2/0 Matzuo sickle hooks.

For those that use the Tru-Turns...I used them for years, and they're good hooks, but noticed that I hooked a lot of crappie in the side of mouth (the soft part), and lost fish. With the sickle hook, I hook far more in the roof of the mouth (the hard part), and lose far fewer fish.

Gman

DrJohn
11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
6 or 8 lb. Sufix mono and a #2 or 1/0 hook...usually gold, but sometimes red.

Mike Andrews
11-30-2009, 01:53 PM
10# P-Line CX and either #1 or #2 hooks.

gatoloco
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
8# vicious yellow or green with a #2 gold, bronze, or red true turn hook. I have been playing with the matzuo sickle hooks and the jury is out on them. I have seen some improvement in the catch ratio but they are also taking the hook deeper and to some extent to deep and killing the fish. So I am going to a larger hook to see if it makes a defference and helps any.

rnvinc
11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm always the odd man out in these matters...because for spider riggin I use 15 lb. Berkley Big Game in florescent green.....tied to a #2 Eagle Claw 214EL....

Watchin 10 - 12 poles I don't have time to be retying after breakin off with lighter line...

When I get hung up...I've gotta get that hook straightened out, reshaped, rebaited and back in the water....because that's where the fish are...in the water....

Danny Davenport
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Hey Joe,
I have read a lot of threads and no one has mentioned the rig I fish with over brush piles. Here goes...I use an ultra light rod with spinning reel. I spool it up with 60-80 lb braided line and use a 3/8 oz brass slip sinker, red glass bead and swivel-snap. I buy the snelled leaders from Walmart with a #2 gold hook.

The good part about the braided line is it is super sensitive and you can mark the depth you fish with a short tag of red thread. I usually fish between 10-20 ft deep. I measure the line and mark it with the needle and thread at 12ft and 18ft from the hook. I actually pierce the braid with the needle so the thread doesn't slip up and down the line. When I catch a crappie at 16 ft I notice that the 18 ft thread is 2 ft out of the water and I go right back to same depth and get another one.

I used to let the weight go to the bottom and count the revolutions of the reel till I get a crappie but this other method is much better. You don't take a chance on hanging up at the deeper levels. I mark all the rod n reels the same way so everyone knows the depth to fish. It is very productive. If you are fishing two feet high or low in a brush pile most of the time you won't get bit.

The good part about the heavy braid line is when you hang up and break off... all you lose is the snelled leader and it is easy to replace and you're back in business. You don't lose your depth markings.

I have used this rig for 15 years on Sam Rayburn and caught thousands of crappie over brush piles. Try it...you might just like it.

DRD

azslabber
11-30-2009, 11:58 PM
6lb. test and size 6 Eagle Claw Gold Aberdeen hook.

sea-sons
12-01-2009, 02:10 AM
15lb power pro main line and 10lb fluorocarbon leader and a #4 or #2 gold EL hook. With this setup, if you get hung up, it's the leader that beaks and usually at the hook. But most of the time the hook will just staighten.

Festus_Haggen
12-01-2009, 05:13 AM
Depends on what size minnow and the structure. I use anywhere from a size #6 Aberdeen up to a size #2 Aberdeen. 4 lb test mono up to 8 lb test.

CliffCrappie
12-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Gman:

Can I get the part # of those 1/0 or 2/0 Matzuo sickle hooks? What color are they? I see there is more than one type of sickle hooks that they make. I also have an appreciation for sickle hooks. They definitely are sharp.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Ralph

Hanr3
12-02-2009, 01:06 AM
4 pound mono and either #4 or #6 hooks. Depends on the cover. This is fro slip bobber fishing. I like light hooks so they straighten out if snagged on cover.

CrappieClint
12-02-2009, 07:36 AM
8lb high vis line with Eagle claw 214EL hook. Hook is size 2, EL stands for extra light. This lighter hook allows for more minnow action.

Cane Pole
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
DonG says I fish with a rope.......:)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z157/Tlewis38344/stuff/hook.jpg

Bottombumper
12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
10 # Big game Trilene. Eagle Claw No. 2 Gold Snelled Hook. Used with a 3/4 oz. wt. as a Drop Shot Rig.

GoneCrappieFishing
12-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Depends alot on what I plan, or how I plan to fish.Deeper water drop shotting you can go to heavier line and break off less, or you can use heavier there.Just users preference or confidence level makes that determination.I do like the smaller hooks #6 myself and that keeps me from so many hangups.I do use alot of the red hooks as well when drop shotting in deeper water.Gold hooks for 15 fow or less and that helps on sunny days.I use chartruse colored line mainly cause I see it better and I aint sure that it dont get a fishes attn sometimes as well.Wouldn't argue that with anybody, just my opinion.I use to use 3 way swivels and spend all that time tying but now when I break off, I just run two more hooks up the line first, then tie on my sinker at the bottom and tie 2 loop knots at each hook 15 inches apart or so and my hook swings free on the line.Did a show with Russ Bailey last month and the show will feature just this style of fishing.We had a blast.

buffalo13
12-06-2009, 10:39 AM
10# Cajun main line, 6# leader Mr. Crappie. For casting 6# Mr. Crappie.

majflyboy
12-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Joe, I'm just trying to learn about this too, but right now using 4lb mono & #2 gold and red hooks. However, I'll be changing to 6lb line and smaller hooks soon based on what I have read on your thread.;) The 4lb line is too difficult for me to see and seems to loop around the tip ends of my rods.:mad:

gabowman
12-06-2009, 07:27 PM
On my night fishing rods I use 6 lb line and #1 arberdeen bronze light wire hooks. I think on my spider rig poles I have 8 lb test and still use the #1 Aberdeen bronze light wire hooks.

Hanr3
12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
The 4lb line is too difficult for me to see and seems to loop around the tip ends of my rods.:mad:

Attach a 3/4 oz weight and launch that sucker as far as possible. When you real it in it will remove any twist in your line. Whack it off and attack your regular set-up. That should help prevent line twist at the tip.

Also adjust your drag, you can introduce line twist when teh drag goes mad while fighting a fish. If your not making headway, stop cranking the reel and let the fish wear itself out, then reel it in.