Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First time trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time trolling

Took my 12 ft jonboat out this week twice but unsuccessful trying to fish my usual way of targeting visible structure so decided to try trolling.
    I've read a few posts about trolling so thought 'here goes'.
    I had two ultralight poles with me so baited one with minnow with shot about 12" above and other pole with plastic tube on jighead and shot for weight. casted one as far as could to each side of boat and started with electric motor. Before long the fish were on and I pulled in a 12in and 8 in crappie. I got about 4 crappie this method.
    I cant say that my methods were correct so appreciate any feedback or suggestions for my next time out. I really got a burning desire to do this right so I can catch more like those who post here.

Post Thanks / Like

You are hooked. Thats exactly how I got started. There is a lot of info on this site. Just keep looking and try different methods. Also read Sam C. in the articles section about trolling, i have that article lamenated
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Outdoorman!!
    I am new to this site and don't really know my way around yet. The only way I fish for Crappie so far is troll. I have found a honey hole and it produces good. The best day was 42 fish. Only 9 were keepers. (there is a 10 inch limit here) That was in the springtime. There should be a lot of keepers next year I hope. I had several good days doing that. I use Sparkletails to troll with. They are the best trolling bait I have ever used. They will catch just about anything. I troll in the main channel and search from the center to the edges until I find them. I will vary the speed a bit until I find what they want on any given day. I hope to learn more about jig and minnow fishing by joining this site. I have never done much of that. Later.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Time Trolling

Hey Outdoorman, stick to trolling, hard to beat this method.
    I would add some more poles though.
    BTW, do you know what a sparkeltail jig is?, never heard of
    them.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question "Sparkletail" - is this the lure you're referring to ....

http://i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/01/ab/7f_1.JPG

http://members.cox.net/castawayebay/images/100_3805.JPG

Those are vintage lures (60's) ... and I don't think they're being made, any longer. They are a very good trolling bait, for many different species. My Mom & Stepdad used to use them in the Cumberland River, and caught many large Crappie on them, trolling the river cliffs. ............ cp

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Maybe this might be what he's talking bout?

Hey Pappy, we used to use Sparkle tails up here too, that is until you couldn't buy them anywhere anymore. Ours were like a Beetle Spin grub, but much bigger(about 2 1/2") and had strands of sparkle material hanging out of it much like a fuzzy Grub has feathers. They came prerigged with a couple extra bodies in the pack just like Beetle Spins did. Those used to really be a Walleye killers. I even had one very short lived Musky hook up with one once trolling too. I never tried it for Crappie, but I thought I'd throw this info in just in case that was the lure.

<,"}?>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sparkletail Jigs

Thanks Crappiepappy for your Info.

Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling really works

My brother SacalaitSteve turned me on to trolling for crappie about a year ago.
    The hardest part about trolling seems to be finding the right speed for the day or situation. We mostly troll tube jigs and have picked up some rather large slabs with this method.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

CP That is the lure I use. I use it in white with red eye and some with sparkle on the tail section and some without. Doesn't seem to make a difference. Thay are hard to find, but you can still find them. I have been told they are used a lot on Tablerock in Missouri. That is where I was turned on to them. Here in Arkansas people don't seem to know much about them. I also use Hot n Tot with good results. I use that one in shad and also fire tiger. All lures are in the smaller sizes, not sure of the oz.