Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jig poles

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig poles

With fall coming in and the weather cooling off, fishing is on my mind!

Went this last sat pm. Windy. Caught 6, 1 titty brim, 2 specs, 3 fliers.

Fishing jigs straight down mostly around lily pads and tussets.

Looked at some long jig poles today and they seemed a little pricey at $39 a pole.

Got any suggestions on some lesser expensive poles?

Gotta rig up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blindhog
    With fall coming in and the weather cooling off, fishing is on my mind!

Went this last sat pm. Windy. Caught 6, 1 titty brim, 2 specs, 3 fliers.

Fishing jigs straight down mostly around lily pads and tussets.

Looked at some long jig poles today and they seemed a little pricey at $39 a pole.

Got any suggestions on some lesser expensive poles?

Gotta rig up.
    Hey blindhog
    Save your money on the reel you put on your pole, but don't give up on the 39$ jig pole. I assume you are talking about a 10 or 11 foot graphite pole. The price you quote is about what you will pay for a good graphite jig pole.
    Check around and you might get the price down to Maybe 32$ especially if
    you can catch a sale.
    I use B&M 10 & 11 foot graphite and Richard Williams 10 foot and have been happy with the performance. You can also purchase tips for these rods and if you use them a lot you are going to break a tip on occasion. I forget the price of the tips. You can order the B&M tips direct from them. I usually order several at the beginning of the season so I have them on hand.
    Good luck with your decisions.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Inexpensive Jig Poles

Don't know where you live in Georgia but if it's anywhere near Middle Georgia then "The Crappie Shop" ran by Steve Deason outside of Gray has the cheapest jig poles you'll find anywhere....not to mention probably one of the biggest jig selections you'll come across. Don't have his number with me but I can probably get it if you need me to...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I am in southern Ga near the Fla line at Tallahassee.

Talked to another fisherman today and the price isn't so bad he said. The poles I looked at are 14' two piece jobs. He had one used at $37 w/ the reel. Looked in great shape, and it may be my first jigger.

Going back this weekend so I'll report again! Hopefully with a great report!

Apraser99 Guest

Default Talquin

Anyone catching any crappie at Talquin right now Hog?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vertical Jigging

Quote Originally Posted by blindhog
    Thanks guys, I am in southern Ga near the Fla line at Tallahassee.

Talked to another fisherman today and the price isn't so bad he said. The poles I looked at are 14' two piece jobs. He had one used at $37 w/ the reel. Looked in great shape, and it may be my first jigger.

Going back this weekend so I'll report again! Hopefully with a great report!
    Blindhog
    My opinion, [for what it is worth] don't buy the 14' poles for use for vertical jigging. 1. It will be too akward trying to place the jig down among lilly pads etc.
    2. maybe more important, the weight will be very tireing after several hours of jigging. 3. unless you are fishing out of a 20 ft or longer boat it will be difficult to thread line through the eyelets, untangle line etc. 4. When fishing under overhanging limbs it will be constantly getting tangled, especially on missed hook sets.
    I could think of more reasons, but these are some of the more important.
    I have been mostly vertical jigging in last several years and have come to
    realize through trial and error that the ideal length for this type of fishing [at least for me is a 10' graphite].
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig pole....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Blindhog
    My opinion, [for what it is worth] don't buy the 14' poles for use for vertical jigging. 1. It will be too akward trying to place the jig down among lilly pads etc.
    2. maybe more important, the weight will be very tireing after several hours of jigging. 3. unless you are fishing out of a 20 ft or longer boat it will be difficult to thread line through the eyelets, untangle line etc. 4. When fishing under overhanging limbs it will be constantly getting tangled, especially on missed hook sets.
    I could think of more reasons, but these are some of the more important.
    I have been mostly vertical jigging in last several years and have come to
    realize through trial and error that the ideal length for this type of fishing [at least for me is a 10' graphite].
    Joe

Blindhog......I'll have to agree with Joe on the length. My favorite pole is actually a 9' composite 8 weight fly rod, and the one I use most. I also have a 12' BnM graphite that I use in certain circumstances, like very clear water, scattered timber or submerged stumps in open water. As Joe said, they are cumbersome, awkward and tiring, but they have their place. Not what you would want to fish with all day. It would be a good idea to have a 9 or 10 footer handy for close work, especially in heavy brush. You can find composites for 20 bucks in 8 and 9 weights, and they are tougher than the graphites. Mine is over 11 years old, and still fishing. Good luck with whatever
    you choose.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice on the shorter poles, makes a lot of sense.

Don't know about Talquin, but I'm sure somebody's catching them there.

I have been hitting Miccosukkee. Land of the titty brims. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Jig poles-Thread

Hello Fellows, Excellent thread, Good information from all ! I enjoyed it, The weather is cooling off and the water temps are droping some, Good fishing to all. I am catching some nice speckled sea trout and red fish right now in the intercoastal waterway. Will get back to crappie and those titty bream that Ground Hog was talking about later. Good luck to all ! Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Got a hankering for that saltwater fishing myself Jimmy.
    Tomorrow will find me in the gator hole at the back of Lake Miccosukkee.
    Gonna rig up a 8' fly rod for jigging, maybe it will work.

Will try to report tomorrow eve.