Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishin shallow water in the wind?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishin shallow water in the wind?

We use drift socks in saltwater and I here about people dragging chains to slow the drift . I was wondering if anyone did this for crappie in 6 to 8 ft. of water, or will it spook them? I caught some nice ones in a spot that deep last week and they only seem to want to bite slow trolling or a slow wind drift and the wind is forcasted to blow at 25 tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Chains work fine. Just make sure you have them hanging on the opposite end. We keep several in 5 ft. lengths, and just add to or take away as our drift speed changes. We use 5/8 in. logging chains.

Post Thanks / Like

you guys wanna know a lil scerete, Dont think i'm nuts cause i have done this and has worked, I was fishing rosevelt lake in arizona, and stopped on some bruch ona dropped and ancor, well this were slow, so i decided to keep moving around, I forgot about the ancor, it was a mushroom type ancor, as we unknowling dragged this ancor along, the bite picked up, had my mom with me on this tripped and the 2 of us picked up about 8 crappie, my mom seen the ancor was still out, and i pulled it back in, the bite stopped, I got to wondering, and dropped it back down just enough to stay on the bottom, the bite picked back up, every now and then i will do the same thing, all i can figure is in stirs the silt up on the bottom and the crappie start picking through it, and as you say, its like dragging a chain, but i drag it from the front of the boat, but i'll use the same method with no wind at all, I dont always use it, but when the bite is really tough, its worth a try
    Dick, Tonto Basin Az

TN River: Clifton, Perryville, occasionally northward
    Post Thanks / Like

Warning: This topic has been discussed before and there are strong views pro & con...
    BSRRofl