Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing

This was my first time trying this and I would like to know what I was doing wrong or how I can improve for next time. Opinions and expert advice are welcome :D

The moon was half full on Wed. so I figured I would be good to go as far as that went. My understanding is that when the moon is full that the lights are not very effective. At about 6 pm (dark) we dropped anchor and set out the lights.

I have 2 green fluorescent lights about 12-18" long eachish. I put one over each side of the boat. The one on the port side was submerged about 12" under. The one on the starboard side was about 20" under.

I had never done this before so I wasn't really sure how things would happen. After about 2 hours the bait fish came in. Boy did they come in! At first, there was one or two. Suddenly, there were dozens and then hundreds! Swimming in circles around the boat. I've never seen anything like it.

I had 2 poles over the side. One had a 2 jig/grubs about 18" apart and the other had a jig/grub and then about 18" lower (the tip) had a microspoon. Everything was tipped with crappie nibbles in white.

The water was about 30' deep where we were. I had the grub pole sitting while I was casting the other pole to swim it in towards the boat when WHAM! My pole takes a big dive. I put the other down and grab that one and boated a medium sized Crappie. So now I am thinking that this is gonna be awesome!!!

Sadly, we did not get another fish after that. We did occassionally see Crappie shoot on at the bait fish so I know they were there. At about 10pm we left.

Some questions:
    1. what depth should the lights be submerged at?
    2. if I have 2 lights should they be on the same side of the boat or on both sides as I had them?
    3. Is it better to cast out and swim back or just jig off the side?
    4. I did not have a minnow tank or anything so is using jigs effective at night or do I need to get the minnow thing happening?
    5. Is there anything else I should have been doing to improve my chances at boating some delicious crappie?

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like watching the Discovery Channel when them shad start coming in.Slip bobbers and minnows will catch all that you want.I'll have to get my crap together and get you out there.I put my lights down about 3 or 4 feet,and then start fixing lines with slip bobbers and minnows.I start my bobbers at around 15' then move them down or up until I find the fish.Then it's on.If I am useing 2 poles,one is deeper then the other by 10'.You will find them.Minnows are the key.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

I see. I guess I will have to get a minnow bucket thingy then. Boy, those shad were so thick that I am thinking I should get a small net to grab some with. I hooked one just retrieving my line.
    Yeah, I need to go out with you so I can see how it is done .
    Do you cast outside the shad or right off the side of the boat?
    Do you think it makes a difference that the lights were higher?

Post Thanks / Like

Try to catch them with a net,lol.It will make you so mad that you will forget about fishing until you get a couple,lol.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Straight down in the middle of them.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

I use my lites on the same side of the boat, i start the first one about 12" under the hull, then the second one directly below it and these are 20 " green florescent, and slip floats with minnows, , and when the shad get as thick as you were saying, i'll jig that minnow some, seems like they rather have a falling minnow than one they got to chase, but hey at bass pro shops, they have a reg full size catch net, and its a real fine netting, i'll catch alot of shad with it, but they are had to keep alive
    Dick, Tonto Basin Az

Post Thanks / Like

So Crappie will only go for them if they are swimming? Dead shad = no bite? Thanks for the report on the lights BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

Live is the best,you might get a couple on the dead ones.I use the dead ones when the bite is full force,they don't care then,lol.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

What? Is Arizona taking over?lol.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Dead shad cut up in little nibbles is supposed to work. Why? I dont know!
    I like to use a sabiki rig below the shad school at night. 6 hooks with six large minnows is better competition when there are 10 thousand shad in the water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast