Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hook's breaking

Post Thanks / Like

Default hook's breaking

I am having a lot of my hand tied jigs to break, could I have my lead pot set to high on the temp? I have it set at high or 10, I've been using Matzuo sickle hooks Red, size #6. They have been breaking at the first bend in the hook. Any help you can give will be great. Thanks in advance

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with the sickle hooks only when getting snagged though and breaking.I think that it is the hooks,But your lead should be just hot enough to flow and pour without any hardenning problems in the mold.BTW, I quit useing them hooks,did'nt like them.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

I like hooks that will straighten out instead of breaking.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I use them and like them. Never had one to break. Maybe they are a little weak. But were're talking crappie, not bass or stripers.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I have been lucky never had any issues with any breaking. But I think there was a post a while back about the company may have had a bad bunch of hooks or something. Shoot I have sold Thousands of hooks from #8 up to 10/0 of Matzuo's this year not a person has complained about them breaking. But stuff does happen. I also posted in the other thread that having the lead way to hot may have caused the hooks to weaken as the molds can get bad hot with your lead heated up to high.
    Also on my lead pot. Lee 20 lb I never run it above 3.5 when pouring as you will have your lead way to hot.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

i also can say mine never break they will usually bend
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

My first question from what you posted "I have it set at high or 10," what type of lead are you using???? I have several crappie jig molds that I use tire weight in and have never had a problem with the sickles.

You might have th lead way too hot!!!! I usually have mine dialed in about 650 - 700 with lead that I have pigged out and cleaned. Try turning the heat down alittle.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into a batch of red hooks last year that broke too easy. Not all of them, just more than normal. Some of my friends used the same hooks and had similar experiences. I figure just a bad batch. I don't think sickle hooks have anything to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a batch of Sickle hooks that were breaking when I was tying, but finally got through all the #4's that had the problem which was the Mfg. heat treat was bad and made them brittle. Wouldn't give up on sickle hooks though as I like them. However if I get another big batch that breaks I will think about dumping them as what I offer. Don't want any of my customers having that problem and I think most of the bad hooks broke when I tied them since I tie with a heavy hand.

Hopefully this is not something we have again as the owner of Matuzo was told about that problem and if he has that happen again it will surly hurt his business a great deal.

Also never had a #6 break.

One other thing if you bring this kind of question up on the jig tying board in place of this one you will get a lot more info.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Been using #2 matazuo red jig hooks and have not had any break did have some that would bend , bad batch from mfg. other than that they are about all i use.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast