Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi-Vis Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi-Vis Line

Hi:

I’ve done some crappie fishing but am new to this forum. I’ve read many of the posts already and appreciate everyone’s good comments. I’m interested in your opinions on Mr. Crappie yellow line and/or Stren Hi-Vis gold line or other similar lines. Do high visibility lines deter the bite at all? Does this type of line help you in detecting the bite? What weight of this type of line would be best? I understand that fishing in open water vs fishing in some brush will make a difference, but your thoughts and analysis would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Cliff, I have never used Mr. crappie line, but some people i have ran into told me they did not like it, I am sure some will say it's great. I can not say anything since I have never used it. The Stren hi-vis gold line is some of the best line I have ver used. I have landed some huge carp, buffalo, and catfish on the hi-vis 4lb test. As far as it deterring the bite. I have fished it in very clear water, and sometimes it deters the bite and sometimes it does not. I think it depends on how aggressive the fish are. I have never really noticed a difference in stained water. Under certain lighting conditions, this line does help me detect bites that I can see but not feel.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

After trying and using many different line through the years I now only use Mr. Crappie high vis yellow in 6 lb. test. I have been using this line for several years now. I like it because I watch my line a lot and I can see it move. If the fish can see it....well I don't know that that has bothered me any. Sometimes I think maybe they follow the line down to the bait. Anyway I really like it.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Default high vis

High vis line is all I fish. Stren high vis is my main one but I have also have used Wally Marshall and Suffix. When I get tangled it is easier to get undone (above the water) also when vertical jigging I can see when a fish comes up with the bait by seeing the line go slack. I do not think is has any effect on the fish. I have been using it for years caught 10s of thousands of crappie with it. Good luck Clint
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hello fish & guys & gals,
    I'm from Toledo, Oh. & have been using hi vis stren for over 40 years.We use 2,4,& 6 lb.Stren for jigging fly's in marina's.Also thru the ice. I use to tie on a clear mono or flouro. leaders below the Hi Vis. The last year or so I'm running yellow stren all the way down to our droppers. I still tie fly leads off the main line with 6 lb. clear line & haven't noticed any difference in catching fish. A lot of our Lake Erie water is tinted & even dirty at times. Good luck to all & have a great HOLIDAY SEASON, Don.
    PS. I believe this line Hi Vis yellow Stren came out in the 60's.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Viz is the only line I use for crappie fishing. I don't think it deters the bite at all as some do, also not convinced the fish will follow it to the lure? I prefer it because often the bite is so light that you don't feel it, but, if you are a "line watcher", you can see the line go slack or move sideways on the light bites. I 'm a jig caster, not a troller, so I don't know if this holds true for spider rigging or not. Right now I'm using Mr. Crappie Hi Viz yellow that I purchased a few years ago. I've heard the newer Mr. Crappie line is mad in China and is not as good as before, but, many people are still buying it and using it? Don't plan to switch unless I decide to use a hi viz braid in the future.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

I changed to the Stren Hi Vis about a year ago. and like it better than any thing I have ever used before. In the river where I fish I would not say that the water is ever "clear", just clearer at times, and I can see the Hi Vis when it moves above the water line. If it has affected the number of fish I've caught, I haven't noticed it. GOOD FISHIN

Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Stren better, but the Mr. Crappie is lots cheaper, you just have to change it out a bit more often. Hi-vis is all I use any more.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just my 2 cents

I like the Stren Hi Vis Way more than the Mr. crappie line. I love his Pro series long rods but, his reels and line have not impressed me at all.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN View Post
    I like the Stren Hi Vis Way more than the Mr. crappie line. I love his Pro series long rods but, his reels and line have not impressed me at all.
    Put me down +2
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast