Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pink ("rosy Red") Fathead Minnow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pink ("rosy Red") Fathead Minnow

How big will the rosy reds grow to? I'm going to stock a 1.5 acer stock pond were not using anymore with minnow this spring. Tired of getting raped at around $3 per dozen for bigger minnows.
    Crappie minnows are not that bad. But My winter time Sauger minnows are from $2.75 to $3.75 per dozen.
    So its time to do the research on the best way to go about this. Like the ideal of the Rosy reds. But if they don't get big enough guess its some of the other minnows.. I can get all the 6" + minnows I need this coming spring time. Know a pond that is over running with the big ones. So I know I can put 3500 to 5000 of those in there full of eggs and have it started good
    But if the Reds can get around 3" or so. I may just buy 250,000 of there few day old minnows. They show in about a month they will be up to around 1.5" man thats fast. LOL
    Pete

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish that I had a pond.Good luck with your mission.A worm bed is all the room that I have.lol
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

they grow 3 inches max for males 2 inches for females which are the more colorful ones...are you gonna kill off the pond first or is there nothing in it to begin with?

Post Thanks / Like

I been thinking of doing the same thing in a little pond I got. You DO have to kill everything else out first. They say those little suckers really reproduce.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll bet the Kingfishers love you. Good luck with the pond.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

just built a minnow pond and was wondering the same thing, how big on the rosies, wasnt going to put anything but flat head minnows to raise to transplant to the bigger pond for food for the crappie and pearch. may go with rosies instead, anyone know the how to get ahold of the minnow place to check them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    just built a minnow pond and was wondering the same thing, how big on the rosies, wasnt going to put anything but flat head minnows to raise to transplant to the bigger pond for food for the crappie and pearch. may go with rosies instead, anyone know the how to get ahold of the minnow place to check them out.
    Golden Shiner forage fish fry you have to buy 250,000 but thats $250.00 for them and they ship them to you.

Thanks guys if they will get 2" to 3" that is good enough.. The pond has only been used for Cows to drink out of the last 25 years. We had it cleaned 5 years ago. You can fish for days and not catch anything. Not going to say it has not fish in it. But I know of 3 ponds that were over run by minnows in only 3 years and they were stocked with Bass and catfish.
    It does have grass along the banks out t o say 3ft so theres plenty of hiding places for them to get into. Along with about 25 Tractor tires standing up in it.
    Looking forward to having my own minnow supply.:D As most days I can use up 6 to 8 dozen easy.
    But not hard to do when your baiting up 32 hooks at one time.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I'll bet the Kingfishers love you. Good luck with the pond.
    For some reason there not an issue around here. The dogs keep them run off all the time. If not there supper for them. Seen one a few minutes ago with a Goose running down the road.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    Here you go Beagle.
    Fathead Minnows, Shiner Minnows, Black Salty live bait

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

thanks creekslick I shall save the address

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast