Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: West Boggs

Post Thanks / Like

Default West Boggs

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has any info on West Boggs in southern Ind. I think it is a reservoir . I have been hearing some pretty good things about this body of water and the good crappie that it holds . I am thinking about a trip there and any info would be helpful. Thanks & good luck to all......treepotato

Post Thanks / Like

Default West Boggs

I saw some information from Mike Axiom of West Boggs on www.fishin.com Discussion boards for the State of Indiana.

I have only been there once a very long time ago and that was for a water sking trip with a friend of mine. It was his dad's boat and that was about 25 years ago.

It's a nice sized lake and they stock it and have refurbished the lake last winter.

Quote Originally Posted by treepotato
    Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has any info on West Boggs in southern Ind. I think it is a reservoir . I have been hearing some pretty good things about this body of water and the good crappie that it holds . I am thinking about a trip there and any info would be helpful. Thanks & good luck to all......treepotato
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    I saw some information from Mike Axiom of West Boggs on www.fishin.com Discussion boards for the State of Indiana.

I have only been there once a very long time ago and that was for a water sking trip with a friend of mine. It was his dad's boat and that was about 25 years ago.

It's a nice sized lake and they stock it and have refurbished the lake last winter.
    Hi Moose, Thanks for link to West Boggs. It has some good info on the lake . I have heard some positive and some negative about it. Seems like maybe the the fishing was better in the past there than it is now. Thanks again............treepotato

redear Guest

west boggs? forget it, I have fished boggs for 7 years and it was the best. about 4 yrs ago some self serving idiot put shad in it. so don't waste your time,unless you enjoy catching small stunted gills and reds. however it is a great place to camp, hike , jet ski,sunbath and water ski, especialy since, in all their wisdom, the college boys did a total kill on all the coontail to make the skiers happy.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy that runs the place had the lake drained down during the winter. The cold water was suppose to kill the gizzard shad in the lake. Not sure how that worked.

Someone put gizzard shad in Patoka Lake back in 1996. Before that the DNR fish shocking and netting surveys never found any gizzard shad.

It gets too cold in the IN winters for Threadfin shad to survive other than in some of the lakes that have hot water dumped into them. Two power plants dump their hot water into these cooling ponds (lakes) so that it has time to cool down before being put into the Walbash River.

I wish that Patoka lake has threadfin shad in it. The crappie would grow huge if that were the forage base.

Check out the www.fishin.com web site and go to the IN disscussion board. Mike is the name of the guy the manages west bogs. He manages that lake as a mult use type lake. That is he manages the lake for fishermen, Waterfowl hunters and pleasure boaters. It's hard to please everyone when you manage a lake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by redear
    west boggs? forget it, I have fished boggs for 7 years and it was the best. about 4 yrs ago some self serving idiot put shad in it. so don't waste your time,unless you enjoy catching small stunted gills and reds. however it is a great place to camp, hike , jet ski,sunbath and water ski, especialy since, in all their wisdom, the college boys did a total kill on all the coontail to make the skiers happy.
    Regards,

Moose1am