Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Runner question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Road Runner question

Does the blade, on the chin of a RoadRunner, actually spin like a spinnerbait? .. or does it just flip and flop? Also, are these made for casting/retrieving or for jigging or what has worked best for you? Thanks for the help

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use roadrunners, i cast them, count em down and jig them back to the boat slowly, this time of year. The blade just flutters back and fourth.

Post Thanks / Like

The blade spins and you can cast and reel slow, but most of what I do is long line troll them in the spring they are most of what I use. The old saying is you can't fish it wrong as long as you fish it slow.

They are great and if your lake has Hydrilla to troll around that. I uses 1/32 most of the time.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Prowler ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightprowler64 View Post
    Does the blade, on the chin of a RoadRunner, actually spin like a spinnerbait? .. or does it just flip and flop? Also, are these made for casting/retrieving or for jigging or what has worked best for you? Thanks for the help
    My experience with RR's is that they "can" be used either which way you care to fish them. The blade is "supposed" to spin on retrieve. However, if you aren't retrieving them fast enough, the blade may just flip/flop. It doesn't always seem to make all that much difference (to the fish) ... but, I like to make sure the blade is spinning, so I retrieve at a speed that insures that it will. You may have to bend the swivel away from the hook end, on occasion, to insure that the blade isn't bumping against the bottom of the jig body (esp when using a plastic body). I use the marabou version, almost exclusively, and still have to bend the swivel on occasion. It may be from the fish munching down on it, or it may just not be positioned correctly out of the pkg ... but, regardless of the reason, the way I look at it is .... if the blade isn't spinning, I may as well be using a regular marabou jig :p
    I haven't personally used them for vertical jigging ... but I have seen others use it that way, and catch fish with it.
    For the most part ... I fish my RR's on a 6' med action bass rod/Shimano Spirex 2000/PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis braid .... I can usually pull it free from most any snag ... and I don't have to jerk the rod to set the hook as just a sideways sweep of the rod, while continuing to reel, will usually bury the hook into the roof of the fish's mouth.
    And Crappie aren't the only fish that seem drawn to a RR .... I've also caught many catfish, drum, smallmouth, largemouth, white bass, yellow bass, and various species of sunfish. I even have a Tiger Muskie hanging on the wall, that couldn't resist a RR :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

As usual crappiepappy is right on, I use them a lot also one thing to watch for is to make sure that the paint is removed from the top of the swivel. When Blakemore paints them they get paint down on the swivel and will often prevent the blade from spinning. I like to fish them as slow as possible and keep the blade spinning. And if that doen't work slow down some more.

Post Thanks / Like

Roadrunner ???? No, Wiley Coyote never did catch him. BEEP BEEP

Post Thanks / Like

Great Bait!!!!!!!!!!! Cast em, jig em or drag em they all work. They do take a while to get used to feeling the spinner turn, and whether you get tied ones, put plastic grubs on them they really catch em.

Fatman

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Vertical jiggin deep ledges with em works good too. Just stay in contact with em and watch the line.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

has any one ever tryed pulling them below a cork? i havent just curious if it works?

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    has any one ever tryed pulling them below a cork? i havent just curious if it works?
    Yes it works.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast