PDA

View Full Version : Road Runner question

Nightprowler
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Does the blade, on the chin of a RoadRunner, actually spin like a spinnerbait? .. or does it just flip and flop? Also, are these made for casting/retrieving or for jigging or what has worked best for you? Thanks for the help

duc hntr
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I mostly use roadrunners, i cast them, count em down and jig them back to the boat slowly, this time of year. The blade just flutters back and fourth.

skiptomylu
11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
The blade spins and you can cast and reel slow, but most of what I do is long line troll them in the spring they are most of what I use. The old saying is you can't fish it wrong as long as you fish it slow.

They are great and if your lake has Hydrilla to troll around that. I uses 1/32 most of the time.

Skip

CrappiePappy
11-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Does the blade, on the chin of a RoadRunner, actually spin like a spinnerbait? .. or does it just flip and flop? Also, are these made for casting/retrieving or for jigging or what has worked best for you? Thanks for the help

My experience with RR's is that they "can" be used either which way you care to fish them. The blade is "supposed" to spin on retrieve. However, if you aren't retrieving them fast enough, the blade may just flip/flop. It doesn't always seem to make all that much difference (to the fish) ... but, I like to make sure the blade is spinning, so I retrieve at a speed that insures that it will. You may have to bend the swivel away from the hook end, on occasion, to insure that the blade isn't bumping against the bottom of the jig body (esp when using a plastic body). I use the marabou version, almost exclusively, and still have to bend the swivel on occasion. It may be from the fish munching down on it, or it may just not be positioned correctly out of the pkg ... but, regardless of the reason, the way I look at it is .... if the blade isn't spinning, I may as well be using a regular marabou jig :p
I haven't personally used them for vertical jigging ... but I have seen others use it that way, and catch fish with it.
For the most part ... I fish my RR's on a 6' med action bass rod/Shimano Spirex 2000/PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis braid .... I can usually pull it free from most any snag ... and I don't have to jerk the rod to set the hook :eek: as just a sideways sweep of the rod, while continuing to reel, will usually bury the hook into the roof of the fish's mouth.
And Crappie aren't the only fish that seem drawn to a RR ;) .... I've also caught many catfish, drum, smallmouth, largemouth, white bass, yellow bass, and various species of sunfish. I even have a Tiger Muskie hanging on the wall, that couldn't resist a RR :D

... cp :cool:

slipbobber
11-25-2009, 10:17 AM
As usual crappiepappy is right on, I use them a lot also one thing to watch for is to make sure that the paint is removed from the top of the swivel. When Blakemore paints them they get paint down on the swivel and will often prevent the blade from spinning. I like to fish them as slow as possible and keep the blade spinning. And if that doen't work slow down some more.

Tiger
11-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Roadrunner ???? No, Wiley Coyote never did catch him. BEEP BEEP

Fatman
11-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Great Bait!!!!!!!!!!! Cast em, jig em or drag em they all work. They do take a while to get used to feeling the spinner turn, and whether you get tied ones, put plastic grubs on them they really catch em.

Fatman

skeetbum
11-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Vertical jiggin deep ledges with em works good too. Just stay in contact with em and watch the line.

jeepguyjames
11-27-2009, 11:15 AM
has any one ever tryed pulling them below a cork? i havent just curious if it works?

abarkley
11-27-2009, 04:24 PM
has any one ever tryed pulling them below a cork? i havent just curious if it works?

Yes it works.

jeffy
11-28-2009, 03:17 PM
I caught some nice ones last friday in a local pond.the weather was in the mid sixties,don't know the water temp.I was drifting with the wind and casting a 1/16 roadrunner chartreuse head /curly tail.I had it 2-3 ft. under a cork and reeling just fast enough to make a small wake.

Dogrockit
11-28-2009, 04:17 PM
http://www.bountyfishing.com/members/5f0453f78909173a7ce2eb874d2a7f52/photo/cd8d5260c8131ca7aeea5d41796d1a0a/640x480/22-incher.jpg

wish4fish
11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice bass. My wife has family down around Conroe TX

Jameslin
11-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Do they work in the fall when there feeding up on the shad?

jeepguyjames
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Yes it works.

thank you sir, i tried it friday with pretty good sucess

abarkley
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Do they work in the fall when there feeding up on the shad?

Yep they work in the fall, winter and spring pretty well. I've longlined and slow trolled them with and without corks in every season except summer. Don't really know why, but I just haven't used them in the summer.

Jameslin
12-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks AJ I will have to give them a try Sat morning are you and tommy coming up too guntersville this weekend? Fish are biting pretty good the old big ones but don't think there going to be in my area long I hope to catch 7 fish but with the cold fronts moving in the bite maybe tough come tournament time.

abarkley
12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks AJ I will have to give them a try Sat morning are you and tommy coming up too guntersville this weekend? Fish are biting pretty good the old big ones but don't think there going to be in my area long I hope to catch 7 fish but with the cold fronts moving in the bite maybe tough come tournament time.

I'll be up either saturday or sunday. I think Tommy is coming up one day during the week.

keith dodd
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Aj and James I heard they was biting near the bridge:D If you can get your boat under there.

abarkley
12-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Aj and James I heard they was biting near the bridge:D If you can get your boat under there.

I heard they had reserved parking under there this past weekend. Somebody told me you had scratches all over your boat from people bumping into you. We'll see what these 28 degree lows do to the crowds this coming weekend. I bet they'll thin out some.

rockbass
12-04-2009, 01:54 AM
I am new to the world of road runners, but so far I have caught fish using them every way.....jiggin, draggin, casting.

I like the round/colorado blades best though. they seem to spin a lot easier and better then the willow. Even at that I'll occasionally get a blade that doesn't wanna spin. I just consider it part of the problem with mass produced baits:D

jeepguyjames
12-04-2009, 02:27 AM
I am new to the world of road runners, but so far I have caught fish using them every way.....jiggin, draggin, casting.

I like the round/colorado blades best though. they seem to spin a lot easier and better then the willow. Even at that I'll occasionally get a blade that doesn't wanna spin. I just consider it part of the problem with mass produced baits:D

Try cleaning the paint off of the swivel that connects the blade to the head, I have had a few that didn't wanna spin and when I bent the swivel around, cracking the paint on it then knocked the paint off they worked. Just somthing to look for that has worked for me

Gamblinman
12-04-2009, 09:29 AM
I guess I need to get busy and clean out my swivels. Truthfully, I've never fished them fast enough to spin, just waver back and forth, and caught fish.

Gman

fichere
12-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I mostly use roadrunners, i cast them, count em down and jig them back to the boat slowly, this time of year. The blade just flutters back and fourth

What rod and reel are you using? Type, size, and line. Thanks for the info.

Fishere

fichere
12-27-2009, 03:11 PM
My experience with RR's is that they "can" be used either which way you care to fish them. The blade is "supposed" to spin on retrieve. However, if you aren't retrieving them fast enough, the blade may just flip/flop. It doesn't always seem to make all that much difference (to the fish) ... but, I like to make sure the blade is spinning, so I retrieve at a speed that insures that it will. You may have to bend the swivel away from the hook end, on occasion, to insure that the blade isn't bumping against the bottom of the jig body (esp when using a plastic body). I use the marabou version, almost exclusively, and still have to bend the swivel on occasion. It may be from the fish munching down on it, or it may just not be positioned correctly out of the pkg ... but, regardless of the reason, the way I look at it is .... if the blade isn't spinning, I may as well be using a regular marabou jig :p
I haven't personally used them for vertical jigging ... but I have seen others use it that way, and catch fish with it.
For the most part ... I fish my RR's on a 6' med action bass rod/Shimano Spirex 2000/PowerPro 10/2 hi-vis braid .... I can usually pull it free from most any snag ... and I don't have to jerk the rod to set the hook :eek: as just a sideways sweep of the rod, while continuing to reel, will usually bury the hook into the roof of the fish's mouth.
And Crappie aren't the only fish that seem drawn to a RR ;) .... I've also caught many catfish, drum, smallmouth, largemouth, white bass, yellow bass, and various species of sunfish. I even have a Tiger Muskie hanging on the wall, that couldn't resist a RR :D

... cp :cool:because of rain & hi water i have not been able eo use my rr s yet --what size do you use & what color? thanks

duc hntr
12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey fichere, sorry so long to answer you, I use a 7 foot rod and a ultra light spinning reel to cast jigs and roadrunners, most of the time i use 1/16 oz jigs.

CrappieCatcher27
12-27-2009, 10:51 PM

Good question, and I have tried both jigging and steady retrievals when fishing them and have just caught one yellow stripe on one. That was just reeling it in. As far as the blade, i've noticed that it spins like a spinnerbait.

CrappieCatcher27
12-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Also to pass along my rig, I was using the 9' crappie hunter spinning combo. :D

CrappiePappy
12-28-2009, 04:54 AM
because of rain & hi water i have not been able eo use my rr s yet --what size do you use & what color? thanks

I'm primarily using the 1/16oz marabou .. all chartreuse ... Roadrunner. But, I do have other colors, sizes, & styles.

I cast & troll with RR's ... primarily in the Spring pre-spawn & spawn periods. But I have also used them during the post spawn & early Summer periods ... but, usually just in the early AM hours (when the fish are more likely to be shallow ... as in < 8ft deep). I generally try and use them "over" submerged cover, or open water areas between/beside cover ... and use the weedless jighead/plastics for probing into the cover. ;) Most of that time I'm casting the RR .. only resorting to trolling one, when I'm moving from spot to spot & don't know of any spots of cover along the way. In those instances, I'm using it as a search bait. I also troll it along the ends of blowdowns, when I'm going down a bank with alot of downed trees, that are not necessarily sticking out into deep water. Again, I'm using it as a search bait ... but, in this case, I'm not expecting to find a school of fish or an isolated spot of cover. I am primarily looking for, or expecting, a lone fish to be suspended out on the ends of those trees.

... cp :cool:

fichere
12-28-2009, 05:25 AM
Hey fichere, sorry so long to answer you, I use a 7 foot rod and a ultra light spinning reel to cast jigs and roadrunners, most of the time i use 1/16 oz jigs.

thanks to all that answered & as soon as it quits raining in south alabama & the river settles i will get to try the rrs