Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need lots of info...icefishing crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need lots of info...icefishing crappie

Hey guys and gals...The MNR up here in Ontario have opened up the Kawartha Lakes for year round fishing for panfish and coarse fish in 2010...
    Previously the lakes were closed November 15th and did not re-open until the 4th Saturday of April the following year...This means we can fish through the ice January 1st 2010...

As this will be new to many of us I'm hoping to get some tips and techniques of how and where to catch them...

My lake has some deep water way out up to 40 ft and lots of areas just off shore that drop down to 10 to 15 feet (short walk)...My 73 year old legs can't take too much trudging through the slush and snow like they used to so these areas I will give a try early morning or late afternoon/evenings...

Gotta get a new auger as I donated my old 8 inch manual one to a kid's club...am eyeing those kits that go on an 18 volt drill...I have the equipment I use to catch perch through the ice so I believe I'm ok in that regard...Should I just try the same tubes, twister tails and Fin-S minnows and shad lures we catch them on in open water?
    Cheers!!!...Mates
    Beansguy

Post Thanks / Like

honestly beansguy if your ice gets pretty thick like i think it would up there you would probably want a gas auger or you will be drilling forever with one of the drill ones and you probably wouldnt last to long with the battery, besides that i have had better luck downsizing to small hair type jigs on ice or small minnows. i have not had much luck using the same type stuff i would in warmer open water when they are a bit more active. small spoons also work ok but i prefer the hair jigs. i would tend to stay along the breakline there where it drops off and find some areas with some structure or deep weed beds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiejohn View Post
    honestly beansguy if your ice gets pretty thick like i think it would up there you would probably want a gas auger or you will be drilling forever with one of the drill ones and you probably wouldnt last to long with the battery, besides that i have had better luck downsizing to small hair type jigs on ice or small minnows. i have not had much luck using the same type stuff i would in warmer open water when they are a bit more active. small spoons also work ok but i prefer the hair jigs. i would tend to stay along the breakline there where it drops off and find some areas with some structure or deep weed beds.
    Thanks for a prompt reply CrappieJohn...actually, I'm not too concerned about the auger as most of my fishing buddies have one and it is not very often I go on the ice alone...

I need to have a look at the size and color of the hair jigs you mentioned...do you have any pictures or sites I could peruse?

Cheers !!!...Mate

Post Thanks / Like

im not endorsing this guys personally but first site that came to mind i tie my own usually 1/64th size jig head

CKOutdoors Forums • View topic - paypal link for ordering T.H.E. Jig
    Last edited by crappiejohn; 11-24-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again crappiejohn...they look very nice...I sent a quiery regarding shipping

Post Thanks / Like

i just think his are overpriced imo.... but i tie the same type for myself and have for bout 20 years and have had good luck with crappie and most other fish with them

Post Thanks / Like

here is another site much cheaper
    http://olepetestackle.com/Panfish%20Jigs.htm

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with john. hair SMALL hair jigs work great and the ones at ckoutdoors are very good. I make the same ones and so do alot of others here. the key is small even micro like 80 oz and 100oz you might get away with 64oz up there. also you will want a flasher of somekind i wouldnt even think of ice fishing without one anymore. besides jigs and micro bait will work well like teardrops with small plastics or waxies spikes minnow head all should produce well.

hope this helps
    JJ
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Also check out crappieday here on the site. He makes some killer mini spoons that hammer the panfish thru the ice. Micro Spoons & Jigs - Home

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiejohn View Post
    im not endorsing this guys personally but first site that came to mind i tie my own usually 1/64th size jig head

CKOutdoors Forums • View topic - paypal link for ordering T.H.E. Jig
    I'll endorse them, CK makes great jigs and they are well worth it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast