Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Problem Help!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Problem Help!!

I have two interstate megatrons rigged 12/24. They are about 4 years old and i have never had any problems. I have not had my boat in the water in about 5 months and everything is dead as a hammer. I charged them up last time i came in but have not charged them any in the last 3 months or so. My minn kota onboard charger indicates that i need to check connections. i checked everything coming in from the charger to the batteries including the inline fuses. loosened and retightend all batter connections and i still get the same "check connections" lights on my charger. Never seen this before and im afraid that i have ruined my batteries somehow. any input would be helpfull

Thanks
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried to put a wire brush to your battery posts? Some times just a little corrosion goes a long way. How about the breakers? Good luck.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd try unhooking my batteries and putting a regular charger on them to see if they'd take a charge. Might be a problem with your onboard charger?!?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    I'd try unhooking my batteries and putting a regular charger on them to see if they'd take a charge. Might be a problem with your onboard charger?!?
    Great minds think alike!! thats what i did before i come in. i forgot to add that in the post
    Brush Buster

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a load tester i put om my batteries direcley to the post . that tells if it will hold up to a load. if so it is in a conection .they cost a lot but i had mine for 20 years . i can eve test the altonator on a car with it.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when a battery is stone dead, the charger can't complete it's charging circuit. Try using a pair of jumper cables and connect a good battery to the dead one, then hook up a charger. Might have to leave the good battery hooked up for a few minutes. The bad news is even if it takes a charge, you have done permanent damage to the battery, it probably won't hold a charge as long, or come up to 100% charge of 12.6 volts. You should always keep your batteries fully charged.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

4 years is a long time for marine batteries. Take them out and charge them, then take them to your local Advance Auto and have them load tested. Or get your own tester. I bought one of these many years ago and it still works good. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

As has been mentioned, an onboard won't charge completely dead batteries. It's a safety feature to avoid sparking and overheating. You have to use a portable to get them started, then you can finish them off with the onboard. But 4 year old batteries sitting that long aren't going to be in very good shape, and may never hold a charge.

Post Thanks / Like

It's new battery time. Those are history.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBledsoe View Post

It's new battery time. Those are history.
    +1, If your batteries have lasted 4 years....You're not fishing enough!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast