Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rod straightening

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod straightening

Does anyone have a solution for removing a bend or straightening a rod. Dumb me left tension on a light action rod, when I went to use the rod several months later it had a bend of approximately 2" off plane in the tip section. I have tried reversing the bend and weighting it down but this does not seem to do any good. Any suggestion??? Its a fiberglass composite rod.

Post Thanks / Like

try to see if there is a warrenty on it

Post Thanks / Like

Try a hair dryer on it. The heat should soften the resin and allow it to be straightened .
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Steam could do it too. It should have a memory that it will go back too. Just make sure to lay it perfectly flat afterwards with no pressure on it so it doesn't deform.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie.com members knowledge comes thru again. tried the hair dryer trick and that took almost all of the curve out, still had a little in the tip section. I have a small toaster oven that is used to bake powder coat, was able to insert the tip section in and rotate the rod slowly. That took the rest or the bow out. Now have the rod weighted down on a flat surface till it it cools and will see what happens. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Weight it down with towels if you can. Any direct pressure can deform the blank, I mean can actually take it out of round. I know a rod builder that did this and broke a $400 pole on the next cast.

If you already weighted it down just check it to see if it is still round and didn't oval out.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.