Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember that old boat Cane Pole had for sale?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Remember that old boat Cane Pole had for sale?

Well, we bought it from him back in the summer and this thing is a tank. It's a 1952 Alumacraft Open C on what we think is the original trailer. It's been a project for us over the past few months, working on it when we have the time. Don't know if you can tell from the pic or not, but the two seats that were in it were a secretarial chair set and a dining room swivel chair seat. The motor is a 78 model 15 hp Evinrude Believe it or not, the boat is rated for a 50. We're gonna try to find a 35 - 40 horse. It's not finished yet, but I wanted to share some pics of our progress. The tongue was bent on the trailer, so we cut it off and Paul lengthened it as well as replacing the hitch. The old one wasn't just an antique, it was downright scary. We put new bearings in and made umpteen trips and phone calls trying to get the right size seals to fit. We stripped out the inside, removed all the brackets and wooden blocks that were bolted on for what reasons we can't figure out. We ground out rough spots and loose paint, then flipped her over, primed and now she's getting her 3rd coat of OD Green today. When all is said and done, she'll be rigged out for crappie fishing and should be a great boat to fish out of.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job. Show us how you rig it. I one just like it and put a front deck on it. Problem was that it was tipsy when I was on the deck. Flipped me out twice.

Caught a lot of fish.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm anxious to watch your progress. Lookin good so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job you two. Load that boat up with fish & show the pics.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Boats looking good.... Also I need to be hit over the head. I forgot about the seals.If you need to me to check for them Pm me any info you can on the trailer .
    Pete

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks real good, Y'all makin good progress. I had on or two similar years ago and they're good at cutting the chop to get home. Like Chuckauten said, don't get it too tall and you'll be fine. Keep us up to date.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

There's definitely not gonna be much deck. There will be a small one just to have a place to mount the trolling motor, then it will step down for the fishing seats and rod holders. We mocked up the deck height with 2 x 4's and took it out to the local lake to see how tippy it would be and it did really well.

Don't worry Pete, I think Paul forgot about talking to you about the seals. We found em in Jackson. The part numbers were so old, when they cross referenced with the new number, they didn't match. One of the guys at HCI in Jackson did some digging and actually found what we needed.

These pics are after Paul filled in the 5,000 holes and we started sanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job you folks are doing on that boat. A friend had one very similar to yours many many years ago, they are built like a tank & do handle rough water better than most. Good fishing out of your new boat..........
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

how are you going to rig the inside? are you going to troll? What about a trolling rack for front and back? It looks GREAT SO FAR!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that thing is really lookin good, well built and has stood the test of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast