Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bass Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass Pro

Do many folks shop there? Man their prices are high! Bilge pump cartridges I bought at Cabelas for $14.99 and $19.99 were $19.99 and $29.99. They had a cart of fleece blankets, on sale $9.99. Today my wife see's an ad for them at $2.99. Yesterday I took a ride to Bass Pro, that will be my last trip there for sure. I envy you folks down south, seems most lakes I visit have good local tackle shops stocked with supplies that work. Good local shops are a thing of the past here in PA.

Post Thanks / Like

I shop there alot...I find there stuff reasonable for what I get, but I also find things there that are what I would consider to pricey....I think its all in how easily you wanna part w/ that Dollar you earn. And also the quality, because ya like you said those fleece blankets may $3 some where else but also how long will they last? And sometimes what Bass Pro has to offer are brands that have been tried and true by so many.....just my two cents. But for my Jig makin I'm startin to buy from the guys on here because they are more reasonable, and have more choices and like to support the smaller guys at times also....sorry for ramblin.

AC
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

Too much $$$ for sure at the big names and all your money goes to who knows where!!!!! I have only one tackle shop within 20 or so miles of me...... they are a "Guns, Ammo & Bait Shop" but I have bought ALOT of stuf there. From camping, camp fire cooking & ammo to fishing stuff. I spend my money at the "Mom & Pop" places as much as I can...... I work at one of those "family busineses" that sells team sporting goods and sure hope that other people continue to spend their money on the local level whenever they can.

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it is that BPS forces everyone within local distance out of business mainly because they have an excellent selection and start with low prices on the products that are the local B&T shops bread and butter. When they are gone they crank up the prices, but people still go there because they pretty much have everything available. Then everyone is screwed because there is no more choice locally.

The closest one to me is 3.5 hrs away and the have been fighting for one in buffalo since 2004 and a future store is listed there, but they aren't even started yet.

The only reason I go there is for the selection to pour over and to get my hands on tackle I have never handled, but I prefer to order from FishUSA, Tackle Warehouse or LandBigFish. Real tackle stores IMO. Not the Chinese suckup BPS is.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know everything, know where to get anything, and generally don't need help then wally world or such is fine.

If you like working with people that actually have a clue, get gear that's high quality which will last for many years, and enjoy getting help finding/choosing/learning, then in my humble opinion BPS is great! The staff have spent several HOURS with me teaching me to use my new reel. One of the Bass professional fisherpersons, Mary, helps me pick out the right lures for the water and time of year I'm fishing (I buy one lure when I go ..about once every 3 months or so), and one lady spent 3 hours helping me find cold/rain gear that fit and was what I wanted.

Of course I could have just gone to wally world, picked up some cheap crap that will last a season and been done with it, being generally ignored by the staff or worse yet them trying to help without a clue.

Nothing against wally world, they just don't hire people specifically based on their knowledge and expertise for the area in which they work.

I used to always buy the cheapest I could find and always ended up re-buying.
    Now I try to buy once.

Your results may vary but I doubt it.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

I buy alot of my fishing equipment from Academy. They have what I need and fair priced. Bass Pro I try to stay away from, Granted you get quality stuff but you are also paying for the tanks and all of the fancy junk that I dont look at when I go to get my stuff and the salaries of the pro staffers.

I agree that Wally World you pay for the convience not the quality in somethings but that is what the world has come to.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a BPS and Gander Mountan with in 25 miles of the house.
    I only shop at either one of them, when I have a gift card to spend.
    I would trade both of them for a Cabela's. Like the local bait & tackle best.
    Last edited by 704gary; 11-21-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    cork'n crappie

Post Thanks / Like

i dont believe we have a bass pro in my state but i've been to them before and i didnt buy anything because the prices seemed a lil steep.i do some shopping at wally world but like you guys said its more for convience than quality.we have a cabelas about 1 hour north of here and havent been to this one i've been to the ones in nebraska.i do most of my shopping at scheels here its a chain but its pretty moderately priced and at local bait and tackle shops. we only have 3 tackle shops in town but two of them have a great selection and reasonable prices.i like to give my money to the "ma and pa shops" too when i can

Post Thanks / Like

they are pricey but they will price match and from time to time will run a fair sale, but day to day they are on the upper end of the price scale. I will have to say they have some quality stuff there but I have also seen some junk

Post Thanks / Like

by the way, if you're worried about buying chinese products you won't buy from most stores like wally world because that's where 99% of their stuff is from.
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast