Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is your favorite fall/winter crappie lure and tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is your favorite fall/winter crappie lure and tackle

I was wondering how everyone fished for crappie in fall or winter. Do you change the way you fish, your lures, or change tackle?

This will be my first year I will try to fish as long as I can stand the elements. I’ve read some articles and seen some posts on how to hit the crappie. The consensus seems to be light tackle, light jig heads, deep water jigging, with a small bait (jigs or minnows). How do you go after them cold water crappies?
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Jighead size depends on wind and depth to be fished. 1/16 oz or smaller is prefered.
    Nothing but Slab Busters on my jigs during Winter. For real stubborn fish, tip the jig with a waxworm or spike.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is like most anything else, different strokes for different folks. I will at times fish a smaller set-up but generally I fish the same stuff year round. 1/8oz heads water 89 degrees or 35 degrees. Most people downsize in the winter but I don't unless it gets real tough.

Post Thanks / Like

I used last winter small, light tackle , light 2lb line, and tried to fish real slow.
    Caught a quite a few fish.
    Let me make it clear, I was fishing off of a dock, or on the bank, and many days had to break a hole in the ice.
    Remember the elements can be dealt with unless you have to put a boat in and the ramp is froze up.
    http://www.facebook.com/quinn.noldner

Post Thanks / Like

Use what you're comfortable with......presentation and location is the most important part of catchin fish,imho.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught a bunch one day last year with Bob using the 3" Rocky Top tubes and Hi-Vis braid. I think it was in December. So you do not always have to downsize. So I think Bugs is right on with fishing what you are comfortable with. Big baits and braid is what I am comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

never really change size, but if the biting stops (or doesnt start in the first place) using slabbusters/rocky tops, the Berkley Gulp Alive Minnows always seem to get a bite or two off the dock down at LOZ

Post Thanks / Like

fish what the fish want is what I say, if big dont work go small, or medium today I started out with rocky top no bites, swithced to 1/32 oz and slab buster and caught fish rest of the day, I usually use 6lb test line year round, so the fish said no big stuff today so I fished small,

Post Thanks / Like

I use nibbles more often,thats about it.
    Braided line(power pro) freezes up easier when its 20 or so degrees-this happens to older line that gets the "finish" worn off.Then I use mono.Mainly dead stick it in the winter.If its windy,sometimes I'll use a float and use the wind/waves to give it action.

For giggles and kicks.sometimes I'll get a dozen nightcrawlers.Use about 1.5 inch section on a plain jig works at times.

Post Thanks / Like

what basscatman said x2.