Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: cutting your slip bobber

Post Thanks / Like

Default cutting your slip bobber

i had never heard of this or read about it, but this feller iknow said that some of the guys he fishs around take their slip bobbers and cut off close to half of the bottom stim of their bobber. he said that he hadnt asked why they do it for fear of looking stupid, so i told him i would see if i could find out what was up with this crappie trick. i hope ya'll can help.
    thanks
    hogshooter

Post Thanks / Like

I've done it, and a lot of guys around here do as well. But these are foam bobbers, we usuallay use them with two jig set up, but if we find the fish somewhere that double jigs present a larger hang up problem, we just remove one jig and bite or cut the boober in half to adjust for less weight.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for your help and reply.
    i guess i'm not understanding how cutting the bottom stim of the bobber would make it set in the water any different!? i mean that i understand that if you take off a jig that the bobber would ride higher in the water , what does cutting the stim do to make it set different in the water?????
    sorry to appear so stupid but i hope you can clear this up for me .

Post Thanks / Like

The only benefit that I could see would be to make the bobber more sensitive to lite biters and if they come up with the bait or jig at all the bobber would lay over quicker with less drag from the water. jmo EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

i see , that makes sense . i can see where that would work.
    wonder how com some manufactuer hasnt made an sold these.

Post Thanks / Like

I also meant to tell you we do this with a fixed float not a slip float. It's just a fast way of having the correct size float without re-tying. You never want to fish with too large a float. I prefer my float to just barely stand above the surface of the water, this way a light bite is easily detectable. Again, I use a foam cigar shape float, and I only fish this way in fairly shallow, open water situations. If I'm fishing so deep that I need a slip float, I prefer no float at all and just vertical jig.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536