Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig heads

What type of jig heads do you use on your hollow tubes? I use 1.5" Southern Pro tubes and use the jig heads that go on the inside with the eye of the hooh that pokes through the side. Can a round jig head be used with hollow tubes? If so, is there an advantage of one over the other.....round hjig head vs. internal jig head? Thanks....

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried all different sorts of jig heads and I like the grizco splash heads. I get them at Grizzly jig which is about 20 min. away from where I live. They really hold onto the tubes. I spend less time adjusting tubes after bites when I use these. They have a couple different weights. We always use the 1/16. Here is a link to check out.

Grizco Splash Heads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueultra2 View Post
    What type of jig heads do you use on your hollow tubes? I use 1.5" Southern Pro tubes and use the jig heads that go on the inside with the eye of the hooh that pokes through the side. Can a round jig head be used with hollow tubes? If so, is there an advantage of one over the other.....round hjig head vs. internal jig head? Thanks....
    Same here Blue. I also use the original tube insert type. I've used round, tapered. minnow style, flat, pony head and many other style heads on these tubes but have come full circle back to the tube insert jig head. And I tried about everything out there. I have had to resort to pouring them myself (and I've come to really enjoy it) to get the #4 sickle hooks I want on the 1/16 oz body and the true tube insert vs the "Quick Load" insert style (check "Do-It Molds" website to see the difference). I feel the originals used with a "Grizzly Snap" (.99/dozen) are balanced better and give better action when being fished stationary in the brush. I also started with the Southern Pro tube makers but have since evolved to using the Mid South Jig because they are beefier and the colors seem brighter. They're both made here in Arkansas. They also make a glow tube that seems to be of a denser plastic and they seem to out perform the Southern Pro glows for me anyway. Buy 'em for $5.95 a hundred from Mid South themselves. Inject them before inserting the lead head with nibbles or paste for odor and you probably won't go back. Even with no head or eyeball, they catch lots 'o Crappie in these Mississippi River oxbow lakes!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info....keep it comin!

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to use the cone shaped jig heads in 1/16 and 1/32 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

I use round jig head with a sickle hook 1/16 and 1/32 #4 and #6 hooks. I use a drop of jig glue or super glue, it stays in place just fine. I do the same when I use jig trailers for bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I think alot has to do where you fish. I use ball, minnow, pony, darter adn inside heads. For me it's easy as I mold my own. There are others that folks make here guppy heads aspirin heads man if the molds were available cheaply I'd have em.

Dont' be afraid to try different heads if something isn't working.

Fatman

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The long style heads made for tubes work easiest. I use roound headed leadheads alot. Helps if they have no mold lines on lead which can split tubes. I dip them in oil (fish scents) to help slide into tube bait easier. Most of the time I use Southern Pro 2'' Umbrella Tubes with 1/8 oz round head jig and pop hook eye out after inserting. The fish rarely pull off my tubes verses putting on any other way.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I use a round lead head with a super jig tube 90% of the time. Round head hair jig in the spring, and the occasional pony head (roadrunner) when spiderrigging.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536