Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upland Birds!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upland Birds!!!

Anybody go out for opening weekend? It was a KSU sports weekend for me, but I hope to get out at least a couple times this week to stretch the legs if nothing else. For those of y'all that went, how did you do? Post some pics!:D
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Fish I went out to Phillips county and it was average for pheasant and really good for quail. Heard reports out of Jewel county and so far its been poor. Talked to some guys that went down by Lacrosse and they didnt do very well either. From what I can gather its going to be spotty. Trying Jetmore this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Talked to a friend who hunted around Colby (Thomas Co.).10 guys shot 25 roosters day1 and left early Sunday due to blizzard rolling in.Also,I was supposed to be in S. Dakota this weekend but passed on the trip due to buying a new boat.Spoke with the group and they absolutey slaughtered um.Limited out 3 days in 25-40 min. with 8 guys.Dam!I am going back next year.They hunted around Platte S. of I-90.Labs good to hear report of quail hunting.That was my passion until the #'s declined,don't even have a dog anymore.The only birds I hunt in Ks. anymore are dove and turkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Hunted around Russell Saturday, seen more birds in Kansas then I have seen in years. Left early Sunday morning----RAIN. Sure wish I had a dog. Does anyone know of good hunting stock of German Shorthair pups for sale? Would be interested in a older dog, I will have a dog next year.

Post Thanks / Like

We hunted in Mitchell County and saw pretty decent numbers of birds. The entire hunting party of 15 ended saturday with almost 50 pheasants total.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron go to nstra.org and click on the classifieds.Then select your breed.These are the top bloodlines for hunting dogs in the country.

Post Thanks / Like

saw way more birds than I have in years, and a fair amount of quail as well. hunted the Hays area after being invited to join a large group. Finally got to hunt those huge crp fields.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I'm glad some guys are getting out and moving some birds around.

I couldn't resist going to some nearby WIHA this morning cause I LOVE hunting in the snow... Dog does too.:D The snow was already 3" deep and sloppy when we arrived, with giant flakes coming down at a 45 degree angle. Visibility was probably less than 200 yards, maybe less than that with all the spots on my glasses. It was also quiet as a church on Monday. Just a beautiful day to be out wandering around!:D

She managed to locate a 15-bird covey and we moved them around a bit. I don't shoot at quail very often, and hit them even less. But she did point a single I just couldn't pass up. She locked down on the most intense point she has ever made. There wasn't much cover so I kept looking at her to relocate. She crept forward about 25' until her nose almost touched a mound of snow the size of a softball... The grass and snow had formed a tiny little snow cave. I took a step and,,, PRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, bang, retrieve. And IMA one PROUD dog owner!:D The whole scene was the most perfect hunting moment I've had to this day. Probably won't see anyting better until I get to watch my kids do the same thing.:D

We found a couple more after that but let them go without a shot. That WIHA gets pounded, so I didn't want to get greedy... Will post a pic of dog and bird tomorrow. Kinda wish I had a video of the whole encounter. What a memorable moment! Too bad I got CRS, LOL.:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, I bought my bird dog as a started dog. She was raised as a field trial dog, but the trainer felt she was too close-working for field trials. I got a smokin' deal on a ready-to-hunt dog, and her range is just about right for my taste. I paid half-price of what a puppy of similar breeding costs, and had her out pheasant hunting a couple weeks later.

Anyway, just an idea for you. I might consider going that route again when my retriever passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Taxi

I am debating between a black lab and a german shorthair. I have owned two shorthairs and loved to watch them in the field. Have hunted behind black labs and like there field status. I have never duck hunted so do not a water dog, just a field dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast