Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spinning reel maintenance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spinning reel maintenance

I have torn all my spinning reels apart (as far as I can take them) oiled (3 in 1) all bearings and greased all gears. One of my reels is still operating pretty rough. (It's not a high dollar reel, it's a Wally Marshall WMP25CBO). Is there something that I'm overlooking? An area that gets overlooked? Any help appreciated.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Are all the teeth still in your gears?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tear my reels apart once a year.I found this one reel always does this also.When you put them back together did any of the little springs,like for the anti reverse come loose and fall out?Try to turn them,if they did in the opposite direction.And the bigger pinion gears might not be meshed correctly.I hold the reel together with my fingers and try them ,forward and reverse first before putting any screws back in.And I use a drop or two of like Penn lube.and not 3 in 1 OIL.All my reels have worked fine for years and years doing it once a year.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drags

Quote Originally Posted by TapOut64 View Post
    I have torn all my spinning reels apart (as far as I can take them) oiled (3 in 1) all bearings and greased all gears. One of my reels is still operating pretty rough. (It's not a high dollar reel, it's a Wally Marshall WMP25CBO). Is there something that I'm overlooking? An area that gets overlooked? Any help appreciated.
    Be sure after maintenence of reels to store with the drag off. This includes bait casters as well.
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey crappiekiller3, why after cleaning do you store them with the drag off?

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Halfmoon ...

Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonboy181 View Post
    Hey crappiekiller3, why after cleaning do you store them with the drag off?
    .. most people store reels, with the drag off or significantly reduced, in order to keep the drag washers or felt discs from "setting" (getting and staying flattened from the long term pressure). Smooth drags are what you want to have on your reels, and crushed/flattened drag washers can cause the drag to slip/hang ... making the release of line come in erratic spurts, or hang, which can cause lost fish/broken lines.

Here's an idea, for those that have their reel drags "perfectly set" .... and don't want to have to go thru the process of resetting every one of them, after backing off the drag, when storing them. Back the drag dial the exact same number of times ... for every reel. Say ... 6 times. Turn the spool cap (front drag), rear drag knob, or star wheel (baitcaster) for exactly 6 complete revolutions towards the "loosening" direction. When it comes time to use that reel ... you just turn the reel's drag thingy for 6 complete revolutions towards the "tightening" direction, and you're right back to "perfectly set". And you won't have to mark anything ... just pick a point on the drag knob, wherever it is, and rotate it completely around for exactly 6 times (or whatever number of times you choose).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Wally Marshall reel once that operated rough new out of the box. I gave it away. But like yours, it was a cheap reel. Can't remeber the model but it might have been the same as yours. You usually get what you pay for. I'm sure he has some much better reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you oil or grease the rotor ball bearing that the spool shaft slides through? I thought I was improving a spinning reel when I put oil in that bearing. What I got was a handle that turned incredibly easily, but a much rougher-feeling retrieve. Since that bearing doesn't have to spin at high speed, grease is a better choice.

Post Thanks / Like

TapOut - Check this sitefishing tackle repair - The Reel Mechanic - Reel Care for some tips on spinning reel care.

Tmo