Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fall Bite is On

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fall Bite is On

Arcadia crappie fishing is super at the dock, best it's been all summer. Sundown into the night and sunrise are the best times.
    Sound off time, report on your favorite fishing spot.

Dirk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dirk....... I need to get on the crappie at T-bird. Been focusing on my main love..... Catfish. But I supose it's time to get out the U/L equiptment and get some slabs.

dmrey Guest

Default which dock at Arcadia?

I'm fixing to take the kids fishing this weekend and could use some tips on which dock - was it the enclosed dock on 15th street? What was working best? Minnows? Jigs? Spinner baits? Crank baits?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

dmrey, the dock off of 15th st. minnows and jigs are the best, just in case you have never been there, it is a two pole per person limit and all children under age 8 /10 must wear a life jacket while on the dock. hope this helps some

Dirk

P.S. if you are there after dark (or when the dock lights are on) fish outside, the lights inside kill the fishing.

dmrey Guest

Default Great fishing Saturday - slower Sunday

Thanks for all of the helpful hints. We had a great time fishing all day Saturday, and even came back Sunday evening. The kids absolutely loved it, and were dog tired when we finally got home Saturday night. My son caught his first bass off the pier there, and was thrilled, and the girls outfished the guys - catching a mess of crappie for tonight's dinner.

Are there any other lakes within 2 hours of OKC that have similar accomodations (enclosed dock, or simple fishing dock) with abounding crappie?

Also - we were using mainly minnows, but I was noticing last night that some of the other guys were having better luck with soft plugs on a jig. For a new guy learning the ropes... what seems to work well most of the time for artificial lures, and how long do you try to stick with one type before you switch out?

Thanks,
    dmrey

Post Thanks / Like

well this will open a can of worms because everyone has their own opinion so i will try to be very general and let you make up your own mind. Those other individuals were using tube jigs, these can be purchased at walmart, acadamy, or any other sporting goods store. As far as color it is up to you, however on arcadia you can consistenly catch fish with about 4 colors; 1. red, green, yellow (often reffered to as the christmas tree) 2. white, blue, white 3. chartruese 4. black, black, chartruese. With these tubes you will need a jig head, usually 1/32 oz or 1/16 oz.

Now i will open the can of worms. I am partial to marabou jigs, mainly because i tie and sell them. Especially during the colder months these jigs tend to outperform the plastic tube-style jig. Beneath is a link to pictures of a few of the jigs that i have consistently caught fish on at Arcadia.
    http://www.crappie.com/pmd/gallery.p...=0&subsubcat=0

In reference to your other question about locations to catch fish in the metro area, Lake hefner does have an ample supply of crappie that are fairly simple to catch. THey have 3 fishing docks, of which one is enclosed. This map is a general overview of the location of the docks on the lake. http://www.fishingnotebook.com/fish/brush/hefhot3.gif

I hope this has been some help.

Dirk