Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Builders Question

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Builders Question

Ok,I have been playing with this idea for some spider rigging rods.I want 2 - 8' stiff rod blanks with a roller tip and a roller guide down at the bottom.I will use a baitcaster reel.I think that it would do the job very well after checking out my deep sea trolling rods with the Aftco guides.I would'nt be casting so,What do you think?What would something like this cost in the moderate range?Az
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Why ?

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get the parts at mudhole.com. Not sure about the tip. Made for rods that are thicker in diameter than bass rods.

Good luck.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

Well,they put roller tips on deep sea trolling rods for a reason.Mostly so while trolling it does not put a groove in the insert,and useing a 1 oz. or larger weight for your spider rig would do that after time,I am suposing.Especially if using braid.Why not?It would keep your line straight,since you are pretty much just verticle.This was mainly for guys like ck3 and lipripper,and because I want one of them to build me a couple,lol.I think that it is a great idea,and I have enough trouble tieing jigs.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

I use power pro line and fuji hardaloy guides. I have one rod with power pro that is eight years old. I doubt you could groove one of these modern guides. Not sure but I suspect, slatwater guys who use roller guides, use them because of the size of the fish they catch and sometimes are using wire for line. Maybe a saltwater guy can chime in on this.

Post Thanks / Like

I read all the information about Aftco roller guides and regular guides,yes,it is all for saltwater,but the roller guides had less breal offs,the line lasted twice as long,all because of the pressure points of the line,which is the tip,and the first guide in front of the reel while trolling and hooking fish.I own three Aftco roller guide rods,all ugley stiks,20 - 50,and 130 pound test line,I do a lot of tuna fishing in San Diego,and a fish with a roller guide rod and one with a regular guide rod there is a big differance when pulling them in,was just thinking of something that might work,that's all.I might just have to get one of these guys to do it for me.lol.Just because.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default roller guides

Quote Originally Posted by azslabber View Post
    Ok,I have been playing with this idea for some spider rigging rods.I want 2 - 8' stiff rod blanks with a roller tip and a roller guide down at the bottom.I will use a baitcaster reel.I think that it would do the job very well after checking out my deep sea trolling rods with the Aftco guides.I would'nt be casting so,What do you think?What would something like this cost in the moderate range?Az
    I don't think you would be happy with that set up. Roller guides are very heavy and also very expensive. Any fresh water fishing you would do would not call for roller guides, even musky or salmon rods. With today's titanium and other space age materials used in guides you will not groove the guides.
    Also the diameter of the rod would have to be too large to have any feel or sensitivity. It would be like bluegill fishing with a musky rod. I have a 7 ft.
    St. Croix blank with aluminum oxide guides that I use with power pro 12/2
    braid and have for 8 or 9 years. They have no grooving. the lighter lines are
    more prone to grooving than the heavier lines. Roller guides were designed for
    salt water applications where you are fighting heavy fish or trolling all day.
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default spiral rod

Quote Originally Posted by azslabber View Post
    I read all the information about Aftco roller guides and regular guides,yes,it is all for saltwater,but the roller guides had less breal offs,the line lasted twice as long,all because of the pressure points of the line,which is the tip,and the first guide in front of the reel while trolling and hooking fish.I own three Aftco roller guide rods,all ugley stiks,20 - 50,and 130 pound test line,I do a lot of tuna fishing in San Diego,and a fish with a roller guide rod and one with a regular guide rod there is a big differance when pulling them in,was just thinking of something that might work,that's all.I might just have to get one of these guys to do it for me.lol.Just because.
    The best (in my opinion) rod for reeling in fish with a baitcaster is a spiral wrapped rod and also for casting. The reason is you are taking off the twist of having the guide on top of the rod. Much smoother reeling in fish. Also less wear on guides even though they are on the bottom toward the tip.
    They didn/t become popular because they "look strange" but they do work.
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well,that answers that question then.Thanks all,I guess that just regular trolling rods will be good enough.1 thought finished and about a million to go.Thanks all.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what Custom rod building is all about, thinking outside the box. Crappiekiller3 is right on with his comments about the spiral wrapped rods. Proper rod setup is where it all starts. Another misconception in the rod world is that the guides hold the line. There should be very little pressure on guides when battling fish, the rod blank does the work. You can actually tape your guides on a blank and catch fish with this, if your guides are properly setup. Proper guide setup and static deflection are areas where Custom rods outshine off the shelf rods. When setting up your blank there should be a smooth arc in the guides from the reel to the tip. No sharp angles. Check your current rods and you'll see what i'm talking about. Most rods off the shelf don't have enough guides and they're not properly spaced to accomplish this smooth transition, this is true of even the higher end priced rods. Good luck with whatever you do and enjoy the fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast