Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need some thoughts........River beds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some thoughts........River beds

I have been fishing my favorite river bed this week. River is falling fast And will not be accessable soon. Fished Monday afternoon about an hour and caught 8. Fished Wednesday afteron 2 hours and caught 10 with a few real nice (2lb) fish. Went this morning got in there about 9:45. At 10:20 I had 8 fish in the boat and lost a few and all were very very big. I was pulling them out of the brush one right after the other. I eased over to the bank to take care of a few things as not to amke much noise and spook my fish. Heart thumping. I felt like I was stealing!!! It was easy and the fish were huge. After 5 mintues I got everything settled and eased back over the brush. Not a brush pile but submerged brush (alot of it)from the high water. Never got another bite off the brush after that.

My question.... Why? What happened? It was on. Only reason i trolled over to the bank was not to make noise on my spot. There was no doubt in my mind this was going to be the best crappie fishing trip ever. No doubt. Then not another bite. I fished on for 4 hours and caught a few in other places but went back before dark and still nothing there. Anyone have any real ideas? They were feeding and they quit? They moved? I had way too many fish and missed fish and bites for it to be just a fluke in that area. Anybody had the same experience and then found where the fish went off to? I just new they were there tight in the brush but I threw every trick in the book at them and not another bite. What the ....!!! (thanks CP )
    Last edited by WestTennCrappie; 11-15-2009 at 03:26 PM.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to be the one with the answer but that has happened to me also. In salt water we referred to some places where this happened as feeding stations. A certain part of the tide would produce like gangbusters and then somebody throws a switch and you can't buy a bite. As I got to understand this I moved with the tide and found fish a bit further down the tide at another station. Could they be moving down a dropoff maybe or into deeper water for some reason? Just my two cents worth.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Yea no drop off. Had to move for some reason, stop biting, or I got lucky and caught what was there? Not likely the last one since they were all big. My guess is they moved out into the river or up into the thicker brush that cant be reached with a rod. Same thing today. My fish were not as bigt but they all came in about 30-45 mintues like ti turned on, then I never caught another fish. Only this time I didnt get after them for 4 hours. I fished about an hour and went down river to scout locations and look for stuff with the fish finder. Still got a mess and found some neat stuff in the river!!

Post Thanks / Like

Water dropping can pull those fish out fast. I have fished the same stuff your talking about wearing the fish out 30 in 1.5 hours. Then the water fell out some not a lot.

Also something I do at times. Swap to a float and jig. Adjust the depth. At times they can move up or down 2 ft and will not hit anything unless its at the depth they are feeding. These river fish act different then there lake brothers. They feel that water drop they run.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete,

Glad you posted. I figured water dropping was the reason. I figured they moved in to feed in the morning and back out to the river or deep in the brush that is not accessable. But the water can drop another 8 ft before its out of there. I fished Monday and Wednesday and the fish were not as big as Friday and the water dropped a good 4 ft from Monday to Firday. I guess maybe it was stable and the fish were scattered since it was so much cover. And as the water receded the fish moved into the brush near the ditch that feeds the hole which is where I caught them. It really amkes sense since the reason I started at that brush that morning was because I was thinking this would be the last palce the fish will be before they move out with the falling water. I guess i will stick with that theory for now. Guts full, I mean FULL of bait fish. Undigested baitfish which means they feeding heavily. It was also that rare occasion when you would miss the crappie and rebait and he would hit it again. I find they rarely hit twice unless they are hungry or bedding. Just taking notes as next time the water gets up a bit I will be there at sunrise waiting on them to feed. I jsut wish the brush was not as thick. 90% I could not fish. It hurts my soul to think if I had gotten there earlier it might ahve been the best day ever. It sure did feel good though for about 30 minutes!!

You guys ever fish river beds in the winter? No deep river beds at all. Small oxbows that might be 10-15 deep in winter. I ahppen to know one of the holes off the river thats about 3ft deep all the way accross and they tear them up in winter. Just so danged hard. Got to get lucky. You can fish every day and catch one or two them bam 30 big slabs in a few hours. have to be patient. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts.