PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you vacum seal your crappie?

i-catch-cartags
11-13-2009, 05:58 PM
I was just curious as to how long they would last i,ve never tried it always just put them in a ziplock & add water. Seems if you could vacum seal them it would save lots of room in the freezer.

blueultra2
11-13-2009, 06:15 PM
I vacuum seal all my fish. We just had some fish at the beginning of the week that were from last Decembr that tasted fine.

chuckauten
11-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I vacum mine. Being single, I do mine by portions. Four filets per ban for pan frying and 6-8 filets per bag for deep frying. I use the left overs cold the next day for lunch. Doing a good seal will last for 12 months or longer. Mine don't last that long. All my crappie are 11" or larger. Better filets.

Chuck

Fatman
11-13-2009, 06:34 PM
Yep I do all my fish like that. They definately last a WHOLE lot longer.

Fatman

sea-sons
11-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I do mine in a ziplock bag with water. Squeeze all the air bubbles out and they're good for a year or more. But I'm sure they take up more freezer room.

majflyboy
11-13-2009, 07:05 PM
I've always used the ziplock with water, but interested in the vacume method. What kind of equipment, bags, etc would any of you recommend?

buzzmanmo
11-13-2009, 08:46 PM
I've always used the ziplock with water, but interested in the vacume method. What kind of equipment, bags, etc would any of you recommend?

We vacume seal all our fish. We have a food saver sealer. Buy the rolls The bags are expensive. Food saver makes a thing that cuts the roll to bag size.

feelay
11-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Food saver is the only way to go! I've cooked fish that were vacuum packed in the freezer for almost a year, with fish I caught that day. You couldn't tell which was which.

Countryboy N.C.
11-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Yep, I got 2 food savers, saves a lot of room in the freezer .

dvuks
11-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Ziplock has vacum sealer bags. You seal them with a hand pump, works real good. We take it when were on vacation. It saves room, don't have to take food saver with us, and bringing fish home. But lately hard to find the bags at stores. The fish last at least a year and like feelay says, can't taste the differance.

Dennis

hotmod
11-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I vacuum pack mine. First I wash them then pat them dry & put them on a cookie sheet & put them in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes to freeze the moisture on the outside,( this makes for a moisture free seal ) then vacuum pack with a food saver. They keep very well.

dedawg1149
11-13-2009, 10:38 PM
i use a vacuum i got from cabelos i never have freezer burn but let me add to that i also dont like fish after it has been frozen more than two weeks

skeetbum
11-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I have frozen mine in water for years with good results. Don't own a vac sealer yet, but just ate some of last years venison that was vac sealed. Works great.

i-catch-cartags
11-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys i knew i could count on you, We keep several bags of fish in the freezer we eat lots of fish but i give away most of mine to the elderly who are unable to get out & fish anymore, I think this vacum seal may be the way to go for me. My wife told me that the freezer was get,n full that i might have to quit fishing:eek: I try to buy everything in bulk when it,s on sale like butts, turkeys, hams... it,s nice when someone says i,d like to have this for dinner & all you do is just go to the freezer.:D Thanks again your a great bunch of guys & gals....:)

luvin.fishin
11-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys i knew i could count on you, We keep several bags of fish in the freezer we eat lots of fish but i give away most of mine to the elderly who are unable to get out & fish anymore, I think this vacum seal may be the way to go for me. My wife told me that the freezer was get,n full that i might have to quit fishing:eek: I try to buy everything in bulk when it,s on sale like butts, turkeys, hams... it,s nice when someone says i,d like to have this for dinner & all you do is just go to the freezer.:D Thanks again your a great bunch of guys & gals....:)

Tell the wife we can buy more freezers before I quit fishin'!!!

Countryboy N.C.
11-14-2009, 09:21 AM

You can do what I do, Release them. No one said you had to keep your limit every time out, No one will get mad. I ain't going to quit fishing and I can't eat all the fish I catch, although we eat crappie at least once a week, Had over 400 fillets in freezer last year for a big fish fry and it quit, almost lost them, but I saved the day by going and buying a new freezer.
I want keep that many again, If I need fish to cook, I will go and catch them.:D

Eager Beaver
11-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I have been vac sealing my fish for several years and won't go back to ziplock bags and water again. I end up with 20 to a bag and it is about 2 inches thick when I am done. I put the fish in the fridge over night after I fillet them. Then I rinse then off in cold water and then pat dry and seal. I put 20 to a bag and vac seal them. I have at least one big fish fry every year so my fish usually don't make it past a year. They will keep for several years doing this with the vac sealer. The best part is when we want fish we just take how ever many bags out of the freezer and put them in warm water and they are thawed out in 15 minutes and then I rinse them off and pat dry and throw them in the deep fryer. Quick and easy way to store your catch. I only got to go about 5 times this year but still had about 300 fillets for the fish fry. With big fillets you don't need all that many to feed a lot of people. EB

Ken Jones
11-14-2009, 11:54 AM
I vacuum seal all my salmon and steelhead. The crappie I use a zip lock bag with water.

majflyboy
11-14-2009, 12:37 PM
I vacuum seal all my salmon and steelhead. The crappie I use a zip lock bag with water.

Ken, why do you use different method for the crappie?

Arkie John
11-14-2009, 01:08 PM
When I was a kid, daddy would stuff a cardboard quart milk carton (that was a long time ago) full of fillets and fill the carton with water. I ate good for 19 years 'til I went into the Navy. :)

But now I use the Zip-loc vaccuum system. It's simple and it works great from crappie to venison jerky. I have kept fish for 18 months and with perfect results. As someone said earlier in the thread, the bags are not easy to find right now for some reason, but it's a lot better than dropping a hundred dollars PLUS for a Food Saver.

Jiggman
11-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Vacum seal is the best method, been freezing in water for years prior to the food saver
and the vacum seal method is my choice. Only negative is cost of bags, they usually
run .50 ea. at Walmart, but saving space in freezer is a big plus and that keeps the wife
off my back.

Chadku
11-16-2009, 10:20 AM
The ziploc vacuum system is a great way to do it. I used to use the ziploc and water, but this past spring i started using the hand pump and it is great. I just ate some fish the other day from March so it will last a good time. Have not had it long enough to know if it will last a year, but I never have fish in the freezer that long anyway. Key with these I think is to pat dry before doing it and it saves tons of room and I think the starter kit is $10 with a few bags. They have qt and gallon bags to use.

JBledsoe
11-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Food saver is the only way to go! I've cooked fish that were vacuum packed in the freezer for almost a year, with fish I caught that day. You couldn't tell which was which.

Same here, and you cannot tell a difference.

sparky
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
If you find the bags that uses the little battery vaccum pump you better buy all you can get. They stopped making the bags,"not enough interest in the product", I was told when I e-mailed them to find the bags.

Jeepster04
11-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Vacuum seal for me as well.

shelldecoy
11-18-2009, 10:54 AM
I,ve been using the vacumn method for years. Great results even after a year. I do buy my bags in rolls so I can cut them extra long and then I can reuse them. Everytime you reuse you will lose about 2 inches off the bag, so cut them plenty long. At the cost of the bags upfront you can make them last a long time with washing and reusing. Thanks Lane

blairarnold
11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
I do mine in a ziplock bag with water. Squeeze all the air bubbles out and they're good for a year or more. But I'm sure they take up more freezer room.

Me, too, and I've kept them over a year with no freezer burn and great taste. I still am intrigued by the vacuum sealer though.

Why do you dry the fish off before you freeze them for you guys who have the vacuum sealers?

wvsportsman
11-19-2009, 08:11 PM
FreshSaverŽ Handheld system by FoodSaverŽ (http://www.foodsaver.com/freshsaver/)

I just saw a commercial on tv today for foodsaver, they have come out with a hand held vacuum sealer and ziplock bags. More expensive than Reynolds or the Ziploc sealers but still the same idea. I gave $5 for the Reynolds on sale and have used it all summer to freeze my fish and love it.