Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small fish

Out here in Alabama up in Scottsboro we have been cathing small fish, babies, can anyone tell me where are the larger one. Like should I fish deeper or do you think they are still coming in ya know>
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Now thats a darn good question. Last Saturday I caught 50 dinks in 30 foot of water and fishing 12 to 14 foot deep. I was showing fish 25 foot deep, so I adjusted the depth of my poles to 23 foot deep. I caught about the same class of fish about 40 of them. So, I moved off that spot,about 150 yards down and caught more small ones. By this time I had used 8 dozen minnows and had one 6 pound catfish and 4 keeper crappie. I used double hook on my line one with a jig. The fish seemed to like the minnows best. Don't fret, the big ones are there, they just didn't bite that day for you and I. Thats the bad thing about crappie fishing, you got to pay your dues.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey mighty, I am originally from the Scottsboro and Stevenson area. I use to live over there at Goosepond. I live in Winchester TN now but I still fish over there alot. Have you tried under the bridge at North Sauty? They should be doing well there. I catch alot of good crappie there this time of year. I havent made it over there yet this year but I will within the next couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this means anything or not but I was catching some dinks the other night on plain minnows. I switched to a jig tipped with a minnow and started catching some better fish. I still caught some dinks but the bigger ones were hitting the jig/minnow. and the good thing about this is that the minnow doesn't necessarily need to be alive. freshly dead ones worked too. Just make sure that your jig is sitting horizontal in the water.
    Scott

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

go to a larger bait the little ones cant eat. that is why the jig with a minnow worked better. next time try a small shinner 3 " long
    retired and now i will always fish

Glenn T Guest

My fishing buddy and I were fishing in the same brush pile. We were both using black and chartreuse tube jigs and crappie nibbles. I was using a 2" tube and he was using a 1 1/2" tube. I was catching slabs and he was catching nothing. I gave him one of my 2" tubes and he immediately started catching fish also. They are that picky sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

[This is where I am talking about right of 69 I believe when you come this way let me know.
    Love, what more can I say