Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time...

Post Thanks / Like

Default When was the last time...

...you caught any decent crappie at the Montrose hot-water discharge? I don't think I've seen a crappie caught there in the last 20 years, but I don't get to fish there much, anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wbook01 View Post
    ...you caught any decent crappie at the Montrose hot-water discharge? I don't think I've seen a crappie caught there in the last 20 years, but I don't get to fish there much, anymore.
    Apparently nobody else does either.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been a long long time since it was in its prime. It has silted in pretty bad over the years. Th eonly deep water left is around the discharge. But below the dam on the creek is a different story. It can load up in the springtime with some monster slabs. Do you live close by Montrose? I lived in Appleton City for a few years. Welcome to the site.

Post Thanks / Like

I go down there and catch channel cats. I have tried crappie fishing there and just end up catching smaller cats.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up near Kansas City and got to fish Montrose shortly after the plant went online. Crappie fishing was pretty amazing there in the winter, from the 1960s through about 1978 or '79. On a cold December day when the plant was running water, it would look like Bennett Spring on opening day down there, with people standing shoulder to shoulder along the canal.

I've canoed Deepwater Creek up to Montrose Dam in the spring. That's an interesting spot to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

don't know if its true or not but my grandpa said winter crappie fishing there used to be great decades ago, but they introduced wipers and now its not good anymore. sez no more shad... just what I heard...
    Why do I have to press 1 for English?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camo_boat View Post
    don't know if its true or not but my grandpa said winter crappie fishing there used to be great decades ago, but they introduced wipers and now its not good anymore. sez no more shad... just what I heard...
    They introduced wipers in 1980, I think. The crappie population was already on its last legs. The lake was stuffed with oversized shad that crappie couldn't eat. So the MDC stocked hybrids in an attempt to control the big shad (which were also playing havoc inside the power plant).

Crappie never did come back. Most of the old spawning grounds for crappie are silted over. There's still a healthy shad population in the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The kdc stocked the La cygne lake

with stripers and wipers and it almost killed the crappie fishing, it was coming back pretty good when I retired from there in 07 but sure had a lot of fish frys from them big old stripes,,,, easy to catch at the intake.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Post Thanks / Like

Where is Montrose ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Montrose lake

is about 15 miles west of clinton, mo..... power plant lake.......just off 18 hwy.....
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast