Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushing Corks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing Corks

Never tried this before, hope someone can chim in and give some advise. Show set up please.
    Do you use slip float or fixed float?
    Help is welcomed and would be greatful for any information.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pushing corks

Doug I'm like you i would like to know the same thing I pushed corks back in the spring and did very well the only thing that gives me problems is missing fish on hook sets most of the time your in water thats shallow.I used fixed corks and big ones but I was probably doing it wrong I hope to see some others chime in on the subject.
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are basically talkin about spider rigging, right? I use a fixed cork and adjust depending on the depth. You do not necessarily have to so called set the hook like you normally would fishing with a spinning rod or bait caster. It has been my experience that most times the fish will hook themselves, so I do not know why you would be having a problem with hooking the fish. I have also noticed that on some days the fish seem to just suck on the tail of the minnow rather than just inhaling it. This is when I experience what you are referring to.

Post Thanks / Like

You maybe correct never thought of that.I pushed corks a few weeks back and got 4 bites pretty quick and all 4 time i would lift the rod and feel the fish but it would come off now in the spring we tore them up pushing corks and i had know problems catching them.Can you explain your set up.
    I use two minnows tied with loop knots and weight on the bottom i haven't used and fly jigs yet but heard they work well.

Doug hope you dont mind me jumping in on your post I was just wondering the same as you.
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Naw you know me better than that James. I need all the help I can get. You may ask something I dont no about. That may be the winning answer.LOL

Post Thanks / Like

i push corks a lot if you don't set the hook most of the time they will get off
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a medium size cork (fixed) a #7 weight and #2 gold hook. Most the time I fish at 4' deep and go slower than regular Spider rigging. Watch the corks for movement, the fish will hook their self 99% of the time. Don't use much slack in the lines, just enough so the corks are a little behind the rod tips.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Open the gap up just a bit on the hooks you have. If I'm fishing open areas, without much cover, I always open the gap slightly larger, even on sickle hooks. I want the point of that hook to be pointed slightly upward, so it grabs and drives the hook home.

Make sure those hooks are razor sharp. It can make all the difference in the world.
    Gman
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Default bobbers rule

I'm the bobber nut around here. My hooks do have a wide gap, mostly b/c I hang up and pull off without straightening my hooks. I use a slip cork with a string bobber stop, with a tiny bead, big bead, bobber, and then another big bead before I tie on my ky rig. I use the lightest bobber to barely flow my rig. Set the hook hard and fast. Rip them through their skulls!!

RCO

Post Thanks / Like

I rig mine just like Stump Hunter but fish a combo of minnows and jigs tipped with minnows. I try to keep my speed at about .5 mph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast