Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Using Sonar and GPS tutorial links and stuff

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Using Sonar and GPS tutorial links and stuff

The error that most people make when marking structure is not understanding what the sonar is showing. What people forget is that the sonar screen is 95% history. People tend to wait til the structure is in the middle of their sonar screen to mark the structure. Too late then. You could be 10 to 20 feet off. Structure should be marked as soon as it appears to rise on the extreme right of the sonar screen. The extreme right is the "real time" display of the sonar. Rest is history. We all tend to be slow at pushing that mark button. Also, don't forget that at idle speed, say 2mph, you are moving about 3 feet per second. This should also be taken into account. Be fast on the trigger when the structure rises from the right. I ain't no expert here. I run my sonar automatic, but I do turn the sensitivity down some (less clutter).

Lowrance has a good tutorial on how sonar works.

Trimble has a good tutorial on how GPS works.

lowrance
    Trimble

Click on their tutorials. Good stuff here...

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Canepole

I Got Garmin 250 On Troller And It Has A Flasher That Runs Beside The Graph .....shows The Struture Much Quicker So That Helps You,re Right Tom Old Geezers Like Me Don,t Think Fast On The Button Hahaha
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom, I for one learned something-Gotta start hitting the button quicker!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I learned from Crappiechatt the easy way of finding an underwater target area. Yes... toss a marker as soon as it appears on the graph. Now... keep going a little ways and then turn around to go back directly to the marker you tossed. As soon as the target appears again on the graph toss another marker. Now the underwater target is exactly between your two markers. This is a great way of nailing a crappie filled brush pile.

Post Thanks / Like

On my HB, I can just cursor over to the bp and mark. Soon as you activate cursor chart freezes until you get your mark. Can also wait this way to see how big of pile you are passing.
    I DO MY BEST PROOFREADING RIGHT AFTER I HIT THE "SUBMIT" BUTON

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip Tom a lot of people may not have realized this fact and wait for it to come to the middle of the screen. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cache22 View Post
    On my HB, I can just cursor over to the bp and mark. Soon as you activate cursor chart freezes until you get your mark. Can also wait this way to see how big of pile you are passing.
    Mine is the same. I can just CURSOR to the pile, then MARK. You can see the GPS Cords. changing as the cursor moves. I have a Lowrance HDS-10-SI and Lowrance HDS-7-SI that both work this way.

keith