Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone like to fish small lakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone like to fish small lakes?

The last couple of years I have really enjoyed fishing some small lakes, ponds, watershed lakes, and strip pits close to home. Anybody else like to do this? I usally don't catch very big fish but good eating size. A couple of days ago, I caught a 15.5 inch black crappie that must have weighed a shade over 2 lbs. I had no idea there were any crappie in this lake that big. The state record came from a watershed lake in the ajoining county. I would like to stumble on a monster one day!
    I would like to hear some "small lake" stories.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

During the second week in October this year I took 23 black crappie running from 12 inches to 14 inches in a pond no larger than a couple of acres. Best fishing I have had all year as far as quality goes. Most of my fishing is done on an 11,000 acre reservoir.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Default I forgot.

What kind of boat do you'll use when you fish these "small lakes"? Here is mine, you can carry it with 1 hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the motor!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish the small US Forest Service lakes here in north miss. Some are impoundments, some are oxbows. No crowds, no boat motor noise, wind not much of a factor, see lotsa wildlife and I generally catch fish around 11"-13"" though my son did get a 17" white last winter. Interestingly, the fishing all summer was really good at night, but the best time to fish is the fall/winter.

I think the crappie fishing is good mainly because the majority of folks are fishing for bass, and so the pressure is light on the crappie. And during the fall/winter, everyone is hunting or watching football, so the pressure is non-existent.

It seems like the big reservoirs here are so popular because the boys get to play with/show off their rigs/electronics, etc and the good spots are well known, word gets around as to what is working where- while with the small lakes, you gotta get to know each one yourself and figure it out.
    What?

Post Thanks / Like

Default And here's the boat

But the photo is from the gulf coast- trout and redfish
    What?

Post Thanks / Like

One of my buddies lived near a small lake behind his apartment complex, a few acres at best in size, but holds some nice bass. Figured there some crappie in this lake and while my friend was bass fishing I starting fishing a panfish assasin jig below a cork around some brush... the bugs were biting bad so I said one more cast and i'm leaving... all I was getting was little hits from tiny bass anyway... I casted out, but the jig and float went right straight to the waterline on the bank... a small tug and it looked like someone through a huge boulder in the water... line took off and several minutes later I pulled a nice fish on a 5-6UL rod/reel with 4lb. mrcrappie line. Still have to get it mounted.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a couple of small lakes, one 12 acres and the other around 5. And they have really produced some great catches for me over the past 15 years. We catch'em mostly longline trolling jigs, but also catch some using slipcorks with jigs or minnows. So far the biggest one has been 2.5 lbs and we don't keep them if they are under 11". I've also put out several bamboo condos and stake beds to fish around. I'm waiting for that 4 pounder that's probably in there somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sea-sons View Post
    I fish a couple of small lakes, one 12 acres and the other around 5. And they have really produced some great catches for me over the past 15 years. We catch'em mostly longline trolling jigs, but also catch some using slipcorks with jigs or minnows. So far the biggest one has been 2.5 lbs and we don't keep them if they are under 11". I've also put out several bamboo condos and stake beds to fish around. I'm waiting for that 4 pounder that's probably in there somewhere.

I also like to longline around these lakes. I just hold a rod in each hand and use the fins to adjust the speed. Very effective for finding the fish then I may dropshot rig or slipbobber rig. I am starting to put out a few condos too. Right now I am find the fish hanging around the deepest parts of the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish mostly forest preserve lakes 20 acres or less with no boats allowed. being my first season targeting crappie & learning on the fly i have managed to catch a 14+in. crappie my best to date, ill be out there till the water turns hard.

dgi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast