Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Biting at Watts Bar ...

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Biting at Watts Bar ...

Just got back from spending the weekend down on Watts Bar Lake, again. Took a couple of friends of mine, Carl & Lisa ... for their 2nd only trip to Watts Bar Lake, TN.
    Got there midday Fri ... went out and shot some docks - something they've never done before !! I had shown them how, at home, and left them to do some "backyard practice" for a couple of weeks. They did quite well, for total newbies, but the fish just didn't cooperate. We used Friday as a "water/area" elimination period. :D
    Come Sat morning, we got ready and headed out. We fished in front of some docks on the shore of Fooshee Peninsula. We caught quite a few, ranging in depth from 5ft to 25ft deep. We left the area with 18 keepers. Most were caught on Roadrunners in 5-12ft of water (casting), and Panfish Assassins in the 12-25ft depths (casting & Vertical Casting). Carl caught a nice bonus fish ... a 3lb Smallmouth ... on a Roadrunner head/plastic body combo. A quick picture was taken by his wife, Lisa, and the fish was returned to the lake. We were doing so good, at this particular spot, that we basically camped on it for the day ...LOL!! The "light and variable" winds were coming out of the NE at about 10-20mph, and I had to practically stand on the trolling motor, on med to high speed, just to stay in the general area.
    Sunday we slept in (time change) and took our time pre-packing for the drive home. We went out for a couple of hours, drifting & casting rock walls/slides on the main lake ... jigs, minnows (tightlined), and jig/minnow were used. We had learned from Don York of Eden (where we stayed), that a couple of anglers that were fishing for Smallmouth (on cliff banks, with minnows), had caught some nice Crappie that way. We tried it, and successfully boated several nice Crappie before it was time to head in.
    It was a fun trip for all, and the evidence is in the smiles of my two friends showing off some of Sat's catch:

(Special Thanks - to "Killer", for showing me how to get to the area & where to fish - to DonG/Blackie for tips on baits & technique - to Don York for tips on areas to try, and for his hospitality - to my fishing partner & friend, Paul, for loaning us his boat ... you all contributed to a successful and enjoyable trip for my friends and I. And a big thanks to Dale Cochran of Grubco, for my "lucky hat" ... and Jack Wells of BnM, for the FnF rod that I used to land a number of fish with) ........ cp

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds & looks like you had a good trip....I've tried the Roadrunners but have not had good luck with them at Watts Bar.....

Did Paul provide the gas for the boat?...LOL....

We have an issue here at home we have to address & if everything goes well we will go back to WB the14th.....

Take care and tell Paul hello....
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you made two people very happy CP.
    It's a great feeling when you take someone out and they do good isn't it?
    Catch-u-lat'r
    B&Z

Post Thanks / Like

CP
    You need to start looking at that boat you've been talking about so long. Paul may cut you off one of these days.
    Gerald
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

looks like you did fine crappiepappy let me no if you what to come back ill show you where to go ,you did well

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up thanks guys ...

Don G ... used Roadrunners in the <10ft water - straight cast & retrieve. Been pretty good bait for windy days, when you can't keep a 10ft bow out of your line, when casting a light jig.

K-Bob ... that's the whole point of fishing, to me. And thanks for the info on your success at WB. It helped my confidence level, to know that the fish were around the docks & could be caught on minnows.

Gerald ... Paul wouldn't even use his boat, enough to justify having one, if it wasn't for fishing with me ...LOL!! I drive it, run the trolling motor, pick the spots to fish ... and all he has to do is sit in the back seat and fish (or eat, or nap, or whatever :p ) But, I'm still on the lookout for one of my own ... I just "want" more boat than I really "need" - but, I'm thinking of other people that I could take along, rather than just a boat for myself. I'll come to some kind of compromise, some day ... or else I'll end up buying a bigger motor for Paul's ....LOL!! The trolling motor & one of the depth finders, on his boat, belong to me ... anyway! :D

Killer ... I couldn't have done it without you. You've already showed me (and a bunch of others) some good places to fish, and shared your knowledge of the lake & its fish, unselfishly. Thanks, my friend.

luck2ya'll ..............cp