Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Transducer cable splice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transducer cable splice

Has any one ever had any luck splicing a transducer cable back together. Ran into a stump Saturday and it cut my cable into. I have spliced it back together but haven't had a chance to go back fishing since the repair. I used a telephone co. splice device (commonly called a butterbean) that is used on extremely small wires. I don't know much about this type of cable, so any advice would be appreciated. By the way, I did catch 25 gooduns on the Tenn-Tom Saturday.

Post Thanks / Like

I cut one a while back when it got pinched in my tm mount. I spliced it back and never had any trouble out of it. It was howeverabove the water line. Post this question on the electronics board and there are several(CanPole)that can help.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to splice both the wire(s) and the metal shield around the inner insulating layer. If the transducer has a temperature sensor, there will be at least two standard wires and the shield to splice. IIRC, Garmin units have two insulated wires, a bare copper wire and the shield. Can't recall about Lowrance, and have never spliced a Humminbird.

Whatever the configuration, each wire needs to be spliced individually, and insulated from contacting the other wires. I like to solder them to get the best possible connection. Cover each individual wire with heat shrink tubing, then the whole splcie with heat shrink and liquid electrical tape.

Post Thanks / Like

The butterbean will work and work well, but what about water proofing and shielding it? Dunno about that part. I've spliced several, most with a soldering iron then individually water proofed each connection with liquid tape and re-shielded it with good results. Matter of fact, my 797si is spliced at the moment and has held up over the last year with no issues.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see where a butterbean (we call them beanies) will work but Catfan's method is much better. That shield is just as important as the rest of the wires.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

After reading what everyone has said, I probably need to relick my calf. I wont know whether the splice will be above or below the water line until I put the boat back in the water. Secondly, I did not splice or re-attach the shield but I will take care of that error. And while I have it torn apart again, I will get some shrink tubing just to be on the safe side. Shucks, I thought I had done a good job------shows what I know.