Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fly rod question

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fly rod question

No I'm not going to get into fishing with a fly rod. But I just read an article about some people fishing for gils with them. They referred to their rods as a 2 and a 4. What were they talking about? Weight?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    No I'm not going to get into fishing with a fly rod. But I just read an article about some people fishing for gils with them. They referred to their rods as a 2 and a 4. What were they talking about? Weight?
    Hey Bill.....it's a number designating the fly line weight that it will handle. The larger the number the heavier the line. If you fly fish, you would want the line weight as designated on the rod. I know some folks use them as a jigging rod for fishing, as I do. My favorite for crappie is a #8 weight composite, but I use it with either mono or braid for verticle jigging. I like that particular rod because the reel on the back of the rod balances it and it's not heavy on the forward end, and won't tire you over a day's fishing. Hope I answered your question.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, learn something new everyday. Thanks Bill
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I use 2 #6 wt fly rods to troll with when I'm at the duck camp in MS..The folks down there troll with the lines almost vertical, barely moving....I love the feel of the fly rod and use 2 jigs with a 3way swivel. I use mono line in the 6-8 lb range...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 6' 4 wt last Christmas to gill and trout fish with. Gills feel like a run away freight train on it. Trout are a blast on it too.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!