Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boats running by while you're fishing question...

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Boats running by while you're fishing question...

Say you are fishing a narrow channel edge and a guy is approaching at a decent speed (say a bassboat) the channels not too wide but it's wide enough for them to run on by although it will be close. Would you rather him slow down come off plane or run on by?

Keep in mind this is referring only to "safe" conditions and both you and the approaching driver are 100% aware and in control. Also this is referring only to narrower areas where they are trying to navigate by not where you're fishing a wide open place and someone ones just running close by for no apparent reason. Also excludes ski boats and jetskis, no one likes them at any distance

The reason I ask is this question was brought up on a bass forum about what a guy thought he ought to do when approaching folks crappie fishing a creek mouth. But it goes to crappie fishermen too. Lots of guys run "fast" boats crappie fishing. And lots of fishermen seem to get pissed when guys go by fast. So what is your opinion?

Personally I'd rather them just run on by and not slow down and plow water if they have room at all even if it's running right up against me. I usually even wave 'em by, trying to get them to not slow down...
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 11-09-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter View Post
    Say you are fishing a narrow channel edge and a guy is approaching at a decent speed (say a bassboat) the channels not too wide but it's wide enough for them to run on by although it will be close. Would you rather him slow down come off plane or run on by?

Keep in mind this is referring only to "safe" conditions and both you and the approaching driver are 100% aware and in control. Also this is referring only to narrower areas not where you're fishing a wide open p

The reason I ask is this question was brought up on a bass forum about what a guy thought he ought to do when approaching folks crappie fishing a creek mouth. But it goes to crappie fishermen too. Lots of guys run "fast" boats crappie fishing. And lots of fishermen seem to get pissed when guys go by fast. So what is your opinion?

Personally I'd rather them just run on by and not slow down and plow water if they have room at all even if it's running right up against me. I usually even wave 'em by, trying to get them to not slow down...

SLOW DOWN.... you never know what the other guy's stabiliy factor is... and in VA... IT'S THE LAW.....

Your wake may swamp the other boat... cause the boater to be pitched out... etc etc etc.

shore wake has a reboutnd and muddies things up too...

Post Thanks / Like

If they don't slow down enough it will make for bigger waves anyway so at least going fast it is about as small of a wave/wake as it will get unless they slow to a speed that most likely will not be slow enough. Nothing makes a bigger wake than slow with power.

SKip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, It depends. Assuming it's wide enough to be safe, I'd rather them stay on plane and go on by. The worst is for someone to come off plane and plow the water thinking they're doing me a favor. Truth is though, doing that puts out much more wake for much longer than if they'd just stay on plane.

I was fishing a creek back in the spring a good bit and about 1/2 the boats would come off plane, the other would stay on plane. When I ran the creek myself, I'd move as far to the outside as I could, back out of WOT and move on past at a good clip. The creek was so full that to make a 2 mile run would take 1/2 hour if you came down for every boat. I'd get dirty looks half the time of course, but it really was the best for everyone.

You can't know what the other boat would prefer, so I just did what I felt was best. Thw wake bothers the fishermen a lot more than the fish, I suspect.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I did in that situation over the course of several trips. Now I'm talking 30 to 50 yards wide here.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I would much rather have the guy with the bassboat with a 300 blow by than gramps with his 50 half throttle.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

As long as they look like they know what they're doing (somewhat in
    control of the boat) I'd rather 'em just zip on by AT A SAFE DISTANCE.

Now when one of the bass racers with the 90+ mph boats comes by me
    full tilt looking like they may fall off the pad at any second
    and close enough for me to hit with a cast, I get a little
    bit p.o.ed

But the main thing I've said again and again is: I can forgive about
    anything once, whether they wake me or what - but when the same boat
    comes by 3 times or more in a short period of time, now THATS what
    gets my goat.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

If it's safe the less wake the better.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

stay on plane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feelay View Post
    I would much rather have the guy with the bassboat with a 300 blow by than gramps with his 50 half throttle.
    Yea but us gramps don't want to go over 1/2 throttle :D We did all our crazy stuff years ago :D
    I slow down as much as possible, I don't like getting hit with the big waves when fishing, so I'm sure most others don't like it either. Just my $0.02
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Default wakes

Im with J White so many times in a creek I get rocked by a guy going in and then 3 min later he comes back out, and often he is back again 30 min later???? The worst where we are is the yahts running the creeks slow, they plow water and put out some scary waves, I fished a guy out of shoal creek last spring who got swamped by one, and helped him get his overturned boat to a boat house where we could flip it back over. I felt for him- water was still pretty chilly! I can take the bass boats but when I see one of them big pleasure cruisers coming I usually try to at least take those waves front to back
    PAC
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast