Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Drift Socks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drift Socks

Could a few of you who use these go over proper technique on how to use them and what size boat and sock you are using. I am thinking about giving one a try and I really don't know where to start. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Drifting sideways to the wind is may favorite way to crappie fish. Seems like the wind blows 75% of the time here in Florida. I have a 15' aluminum boat and the wind affects it pretty good. I use two socks, 54" in the front and 48" in the back. They slow it down enough in wind up to about 20MPH and control the boat from rocking as much. Ignore the charts that suggest the size for your boat. Buy BIG and be done with it. They last forever. I think mine were around 50 bucks a piece.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pretty good sized boat(War Eagle 2060) and it just feels weird to think about a 20 mph wind and sitting sideways with the waves. Is it safe to do? I have never tried. I usually nose into them.

Post Thanks / Like

you can also use 5 gallon bucket and a long line cheap and it works
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 18 foot tracker deep v, I use 2 of them , 54 inch I think, Go big if you buy one, I tried the size they recommended first, It was too small. I like mine, I use 1 in the back to keep me strait when trolling cross wind and 2 when drifting, 1 in the front and 1 in the back.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 18 ft Ranger and I use the 56" version of this on windy days. I've tried the 5 gallon buckets, but I like this setup a lot better. I have two smaller 36" socks I bought from Academy Outdoors for about 15 bucks each. I use one of the smaller ones when there's less wind and sometimes use either both of the smaller ones at the same time or one of those in tandem with the larger sock if it's really windy. I tie them to the motor mount off the back of the boat and drift with the wind. In a 15-20 mph wind I can slow my boat down to .4 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

If you tie these up on the transom and drift with the wind, do you have to worry about waves coming over your transom? I like the bucket idea, I may try it out first.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the guys around here use buckets when they pull cranks with their big motor. I did for a while and found them awkward and hard to store so I bought an 18" version from BPS. It works great and will knock off .4 mph from my 90hp Merc.
    Last edited by yikess; 11-09-2009 at 10:07 PM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab View Post
    If you tie these up on the transom and drift with the wind, do you have to worry about waves coming over your transom? I like the bucket idea, I may try it out first.
    Never had a problem with it and I've used them a good bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yikess View Post
    A lot of the guys around here use buckets when they pull cranks with their big motor. I did for a while and found them awkward and hard to store so I bought an 18" version from BPS. It works great and will knock off .4 mph from my 90hp Merc.
    dont tie your socks to the transom if its very rough. the waves will wash over the back of the boat. tie em off the bow or the sides if its very rough.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...