Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size weights do you use

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size weights do you use

when you are spidder rigging? I was at BPS the other day and I noticed that the Capps & Coleman rigs that they sell now come in different weight sizes for different depths. They came in 1/4oz. - 1 oz. and as the weights got bigger they were labled for deeper water. My question is how will using a lighter weight in shallow water help you? I have always used a min. of 1 oz and even more if it was windy no matter the depth. How does using a large amount of weight(1 oz or more) in shallow water hurt you. I was just wondering if they are just trying to get you a variety of sizes and spend more or if there is more to it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest reason I can see for the heavier weight in deeper water is the drag on the line is greater and would require more weight to keep the line straight.
    A shallow line wouldn't need as much weight to over come the drag, but I don't think a heavier weight would hurt you any. JMO
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab View Post
    when you are spidder rigging? I was at BPS the other day and I noticed that the Capps & Coleman rigs that they sell now come in different weight sizes for different depths. They came in 1/4oz. - 1 oz. and as the weights got bigger they were labled for deeper water. My question is how will using a lighter weight in shallow water help you? I have always used a min. of 1 oz and even more if it was windy no matter the depth. How does using a large amount of weight(1 oz or more) in shallow water hurt you. I was just wondering if they are just trying to get you a variety of sizes and spend more or if there is more to it. Thanks
    I agree, I use 1 oz or more depending on depth and conditions.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use 3/4 oz...but at times I use as little as 1/8 oz...and as much as 2 oz. depends on how fast you move 'cause your line needs to be pretty straight down.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe fisherman View Post
    Biggest reason I can see for the heavier weight in deeper water is the drag on the line is greater and would require more weight to keep the line straight.
    A shallow line wouldn't need as much weight to over come the drag, but I don't think a heavier weight would hurt you any. JMO
    I agree. I'm no expert by any means but this is how I feel about it so all I ever use is 1 oz. weights.:o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with the above. I guess my question is why would you go down to a smaller weight when fishing shallow? How does using a 1 oz weight in shallow water hurt anything? I'm guessing they just want to sell you more stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

i adjust my weight by depth and speed
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dedawg1149 View Post
    i adjust my weight by depth and speed
    Me too. But fortunately around the places I fish I normally do not have to go heavier than 3/4. Right now in 11 fow I am using a 1/4 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that 3/4 oz seems to be the best overall, but adjust to depth and conditions.
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I find that 3/4 oz seems to be the best overall, but adjust to depth and conditions.
    Same here.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast