Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Respect, Turn that motor OFF!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Respect, Turn that motor OFF!

Please spread the word.
    During the shallow water spring fish, Turn your motor off or idle, as much as possible in the back of creeks, narrow cuts, under bridges, or whenever you are near an anchored, beached, still fishing, drifting, or trolling boat. And also be respectfull of those fishing from the bank.
    Stirred up water, noise, and wake can turn off a good bite some times, especially in the very back of creeks. It not only spooks the crappie, but the bait as well.
    I know a spot on lake russell: a narrow cut, back in pickens creek, with a point on one side. The threadfin will school in and out of the creek, with the bank to their right side. Crappie will ambush them on the backside of this point as they enter the back of the creek. I have seen it where everytime a boat motors through the cut, it spooks the shad into deeper water. It takes 20 minutes or so for the shad to get back in their routine, and the crappie to re-stage in their ambush position, which is where they bite.

Post Thanks / Like

yea for sure. i fish from the shore and that happens to me all the time because the rich idiots with their speed boats think they need to fly through the no wake zone.(the only good and available shore fishing is close to the zone).i've seen people fall out of their boats in the no wake zone because of these idiots.actually heres a crazy no wake story from a few months ago. this teenager on a jet ski was flying around the lake and zooms into the no wake zone and was doing donuts and a fisher got irate and started screaming at him yelling "you want me to take my boat over and do that to you" the teenager kept yelling "yea come over here and do something about it" he flew around the fishing jetty just about as shallow as he could to scare away the fish and went around to the other side and splashed the people on the dock. a trucker that was fishing on the dock took out his handgun and shot the jet ski. it was crazy

Post Thanks / Like

yeah the world is full of idiots
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice.
    It's not the numbers or the size, it's the time spent on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

That needs to be posted at every landing! I have had my fill of them,Too!

Post Thanks / Like

Theres nothing like sittin in a narrow jon boat riding the wake of a bass boat that just passed you at full throttle.Makes you wish you had a harpoon with an idiot flag and as they pass you can shoot their boat with it so everybody else can see the idiots comming at them.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by team james View Post
    Please spread the word.
    During the shallow water spring fish, Turn your motor off or idle, as much as possible in the back of creeks, narrow cuts, under bridges, or whenever you are near an anchored, beached, still fishing, drifting, or trolling boat. And also be respectfull of those fishing from the bank.
    Stirred up water, noise, and wake can turn off a good bite some times, especially in the very back of creeks. It not only spooks the crappie, but the bait as well.
    I know a spot on lake russell: a narrow cut, back in pickens creek, with a point on one side. The threadfin will school in and out of the creek, with the bank to their right side. Crappie will ambush them on the backside of this point as they enter the back of the creek. I have seen it where everytime a boat motors through the cut, it spooks the shad into deeper water. It takes 20 minutes or so for the shad to get back in their routine, and the crappie to re-stage in their ambush position, which is where they bite.

So, us dock owners don't count or need any courtesy extended our way eh? No slow down or troll by from boaters when we are fishing from our docks eh? Guess we just don't matter eh? Shame on all of you.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 11-08-2009 at 08:47 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dedawg1149 View Post
    yeah the world is full of idiots

Brother, that may be true, howerver, is it possible that helping others learn about the issue would help more than just expecting folks are idiots?

I'm sure if we watched anyone long enough we'd find them doing something we considered to be idiotic. No matter how smart you think you are... there's ALWAYS somebody smarter. Does that make YOU an idiot? I'd say it don't.

I'd argue that as a community it's in our best interest to work together in friendship to share what we know so that everyone can enjoy the great sport of fishing.

edit: and I'd say the courtesy would extend to anyone we share the water with. Heck I even slow down for kiakers<sp>.
    Last edited by Pomoxis; 11-09-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: wanted to comment on canepole
    "Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits." - Thomas Jefferson