Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer Meat Or Horns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deer Meat Or Horns

Just woundering how many people dear hunt for the meat .And how many deer hunt for the trophy? Myself i deer hunt for the meat i can't eat the horns. Thanks MOFISH

Post Thanks / Like

I hunt for the pleasure of being outdoors and to put meat in the freezer. A trophy rack is just a bonus!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with WV. I love the hunt, but also love making jerky and sausage for my friends and family. A nice set of bone is just an added bonus.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to harvest 1 or 2 does per year with my bow just because I love the adrenaline rush of the bow kill....

But gun huntin is a little different for me...Here in ky we only get 1 buck tag so I will hold on to it for a mountable buck 120 inches or better....bow or gun doesn't matter...I like bone hanging on the wall....I have 9 shoulder mounts and 1 full body mount....

I hope to someday be able to build a trophy room to put all this stuff in...

If I don't see a big enough buck to mount during the year it doesn't bother me to finish the the season with the buck tag still in my pocket....

I don't have anything against someone else shooting whatever size buck they like because a trophy is in the eyes of the beholder...but for me..... I don't shoot small bucks anymore....leaving them to grow bigger.....

I'm really lucky in the respect that I have ample opportunities to harvest deer during the year because of the private farm that I have permission to hunt...

Several years ago I actually logged my treestand hours just to see how much time I actually spent in the woods.....that year I logger 369 hours in treestands..figuring roughly 3 hours per sit...that's 123 trips into the woods...

Kinda like crappie fishin...I can never put in enough time in the outdoors...
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

With a very lengthy seson here and very liberal limits, I make sure to get all the deer meat we will eat. But I'll take my time looking for a decent buck or two to shoot. I enjoy the outdoors and seeing the deer but I dont ever feel that I'm in a hurry to fill my quota. I process my own meat so I know that once the shot is taken then the work begins. As a processer will tell ya, you have to go thru the same steps regardless of what size the deer is so I want to pick the bigger deer so it doesnt take as many.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said I hunt to be in the outdoors and enjoy nature. The adrenaline rush of the bowkill is like nothing else! I hunt for meat, but the bone is just a added bonus. I harvested a nice big bodied 7pt tonight with my bow and cant wait for the meet to get back so I can make jerky!! Only 1 buck tag left for the year now...so ill try and hold out for a big one. Im only 19 and in just my 3rd year of hunting!

Post Thanks / Like

I hunt for meat to make snack sticks and summer sausage to eat while I'm duck hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the buck Birdman!!! I shot the does for the freezer and wait on a big buck.
    Bobby Garland Pro Staff Bass Pro Shop Pro Staff
    Hi-Tek Pro Staff
    Denali Rods Pro Staff Road Runner Pro Staff
    K2 Coolers Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter to me if I kill or not, I just like being in a climber away from civilization. If I see one, I debate whether I feel like cleaning it or not. We used to eat alot of deer meat, but my kids burnt us out on it. so if we get 1 in the freezer, it would be enough. Now I like a nice trophy buck. only got 2 so far that made it to the wall. Last year I killed a doe, we made sausage with her. my son killed a young doe and we cut it up and froze it. And at the end of the season, I killed a 13pt and made ground meat out of the whole thing for chilli.. Still have several packs of the cut up deer in the freezer. So I guess to answer you question, I would lean more towards the horns.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with wvsportsman...

Gonefission
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast