Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is structure for Crappie or Bait?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Is structure for Crappie or Bait?

After my limited experience with fishing various structures, I started to wonder if a productive "brushpile" is good because it attracts baitfish, or because it attracts Crappie directly. Any other thoughts on this?
    This structure forum needs some more life. Or maybe it just needs some more structure! :D
    Sorry for my Crappie attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my answer it your question would be BOTH. Both the bait fish and the crappie look for structures to hide and feed.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago I was watching one of those fishing shows, and they ran a tape
    about some study that had been made. The tape showed three of four green carp
    in a swimming pool. They put a plastic milk box in the pool, and the carp would hang around it. They would move the box around the pool and it didnt matter
    regarding the depth. the green carp stayed around the milk box. I agree fish want
    cover and food, but they will go to cover, plastic, wood or whatever.

Chef

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHead
    Well my answer it your question would be BOTH. Both the bait fish and the crappie look for structures to hide and feed.
    I have to totally agree with you CH. The baitfish are not only feeding on the algae and other things, but are in for a sense of security. This is ideal for the crappie in that they can ease into it find great places to ambush. They aren't exactly like a bass in that they don't roam in fairly open water and run down their prey most of the time, but prefer the quick short strikes. With all the gar around here and seeing all the cuts and teethmarks on the crappie here, it stands to reason that they are using it for a defence also. I'm no expert and haven't written or read any books on this , but it's just what I've noticed over the years.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pomoxis
    After my limited experience with fishing various structures, I started to wonder if a productive "brushpile" is good because it attracts baitfish, or because it attracts Crappie directly. Any other thoughts on this?
    This structure forum needs some more life. Or maybe it just needs some more structure! :D
    The scientoligy of brush is as follows. It does attract bait fish. The reason most structure does not attract good numbers of crappie for a couple of seasons is that it has to build up the following: It all starts with Zooplankton, which attracts photoplankton, which attracts microplantkton, which attracts the minnows and small baitfish, which attracts crappie. This is the black slime you see growing on the limbs of trees and around boat docks. Aything you put in water will start this process. Crappie are feeders. they really dont care to hang out in brush, except to feed. they would just as well hang out in open water.

Hope this was some help.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i think crappie is like every thing else . humans also . would you stand in a wide open field.every one and all animals alike will be in and around structor most of the time .
    retired and now i will always fish

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

one thing not mentioned here that I think comes into play is SHADE. Just like us, the sun plays a big part in this thing. I think the fish are attracted because of the shaed it creates. I think that is why you tend to find the fish holding heavy to cover in the middle of the days. Looking to give their eyes a break and to hide also. Never hurts that there m ay be a meal or two that comes with it.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association