Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: need opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Default need opinions

i went fishin yesterday and caught several small ones, and one that barely made the cut. i got to thinkin about structure and cover and realized something. this lake is full of it. 90 percent of this lake has underwater grass, and some grass stands as tall as 6 to 8 ft. so my conclusioin is that the crappie have no problem with cover, so im figurin that its depth, and food now. but my problem with depth is, if they say, are at 10 ft down, and decide that they wanna to up to 5 ft, would they do that in open water or just swim over to the cover at that depth? so if im fishing down 10 ft, should i just move to shallower water thats around 6 ft deep?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a 'trial and error' thing.....

Try different things until you can see a pattern of what/where the fish want...it'll probably be different on different days and sometimes even different parts of the day....

Once you have a pattern ....then the pattern should work in other very similar spots with very similar presentations.....
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mactheaxe View Post
    if they say, are at 10 ft down, and decide that they wanna to up to 5 ft, would they do that in open water or just swim over to the cover at that depth? so if im fishing down 10 ft, should i just move to shallower water thats around 6 ft deep?
    Yes/no, maybe, if they want to. Hard to say.
    To me it appears you could be describing a daily migration from feeding areas to staging areas. I have been "on top of them" before when they just quit. Rather than move imidiately, I have cast to different spots where I knew the migration would be to find them again. If I knew why they moved in the first place, I would be smart enough to figure out why my wife does what she does.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Start running the shoreline with 15 or so feet under you to the bottom....
    mark bait balls (broken ones mean fish feeding on em) and marking fish schools.... if you arent marking anything move shallower an repeat untill you do mark them..... slow troll jigs/minnows you'll know when you find crappie.... you start getting hits on the rods.

once you start catching fish... just resweep that spot until they have move on or you've cleaned em out.

Pay attention to the depth you are catching them, what you are catching them on (varry the jig offerings). When you find a pattern go to it.

Just leave the rest of us some.