Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: SPIDDER RIG and trolling POLES SUGGESTIONS

Post Thanks / Like

Default SPIDDER RIG and trolling POLES SUGGESTIONS

I have never spider rigged or trolled crankbates before but it sounds like something I should try from the success I hear you guys have at it. My favorite thing to do is stumpjumping with a 10ft jiging pole. I have come to realize that that method isnt productive 100% of the time and I needto be a little more open minded to other methods.

My question is how many and what kind,size, type,length ect. of rods and reels do I need to get to be efective at trolling and spider rigging. I know the importance of buying good equipment and understand cheapest is rarely the way to go, so what is a good solid go to combo that wont break the bank. for these different methods

thanks in advance

Aaron
    HAVE POLES, WILL TRAVEL.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging 101

SCOUT check this link out should get you all the info your looking for...
    http://www.crappiestuff.com/spider_rigging_101.html
    Kelly Matthews
    Weiss Lake Guide Service
    www.weisslakeguideservices.com

Post Thanks / Like

There are many different kinds of poles you can use for spider-rigging. However, I really like the B'n'M Pro Staff Trolling Poles for just that. They are very sensitive and strong, and most Crappie USA tournament teams rely on these poles to help them place in the money. Wouldn't hurt to check them out at the B'n'M link on top of this page.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I was looking at the BnM rods but wasnt sure which ones. I guess I will be doing some xmas shopping for my self a little early this year. Now how many? I know this is probably a personal preference but is four enough or am I going to be wasting my time unless I have six dragging in the water?

Thanks

Aaron
    HAVE POLES, WILL TRAVEL.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Four would certainly be a good start (just a little spider). To me the important thing is to have different lengths so you can stagger the baits. I use a combination of anywhere from 5 to 13 footers. Some people like even longer poles.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SCOUT
    Thanks guys, I was looking at the BnM rods but wasnt sure which ones. I guess I will be doing some xmas shopping for my self a little early this year. Now how many? I know this is probably a personal preference but is four enough or am I going to be wasting my time unless I have six dragging in the water?

Thanks

Aaron

i use 8 myself. i use four 14's two 16's and two 12's. i'd like to have two more 16's, and will probably break down and buy them sometime this winter. i love hauling in the big boys with the 16's. they'll darn near bend them into . you'll need the long ones in shallow water. it will keep you from spooking fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Aaron, if you are going to use the long poles how are you going to determine how deep you are going to be fishing?I'll tell you, it was not easy for me until i came up
    with this idea. What i did was this, i knew i wanted the end of my poles to be approx.
    12 inches from the water,so i wrapped a piece of blue painters tape 4 ft. from end of
    pole, then i added tape @ 1 ft. intervals to length of pole. i think this method takes
    much of the guess work out. Some of the other guys may have a better method.
    There is an old saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat......Billy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoBoMan
    Aaron, if you are going to use the long poles how are you going to determine how deep you are going to be fishing?I'll tell you, it was not easy for me until i came up
    with this idea. What i did was this, i knew i wanted the end of my poles to be approx.
    12 inches from the water,so i wrapped a piece of blue painters tape 4 ft. from end of
    pole, then i added tape @ 1 ft. intervals to length of pole. i think this method takes
    much of the guess work out. Some of the other guys may have a better method.
    There is an old saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat......Billy
    it depends, if i'm fishing the shallow stuff, i use corks. if it's deeper, i usually use baitcasters on the poles and pull off the line 1 ft at a time and count down. like you, i try to keep my pole tips 10-12 inches off the water. so if i want to fish 14 ft deep, i pull off 15 pulls.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    it depends, if i'm fishing the shallow stuff, i use corks. if it's deeper, i usually use baitcasters on the poles and pull off the line 1 ft at a time and count down. like you, i try to keep my pole tips 10-12 inches off the water. so if i want to fish 14 ft deep, i pull off 15 pulls.
    Have you ever tried one of those line counters that attach to your pole? I been meaning to get one just to try it but I keep forgetting when I go over to BPS.http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...mCat=CROSSSELL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Have you ever tried one of those line counters that attach to your pole? I been meaning to get one just to try it but I keep forgetting when I go over to BPS.http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...mCat=CROSSSELL
    unless you're fishing extremel deep, i dont think it's really necessary. try putting a piece of black electrical tape out 1 ft away from your reel spool. pull your line to the tape and count as you pull. the deepest i usually fish is around 20-25 ft. it takes just a few seconds to pull out 25 ft of line when you get used to it.