Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise/rec on new reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advise/rec on new reel.

I've been looking for a good reel for casting light lures, beatlespins, small crankbaits like the Wally Marshall 1/8th ounce crappie cranks, and small swimbaits. I dont want to spend a lot of money. I was at basspro the other day and was looking at the underspin spincasters, the ones with the trigger. I'd never used one so decided to pick one up, figured if I didnt like it for this application it would be perfect to pair with a short rod for dock shooting. I asked the guy at the counter to recommend a good one at a decent price and he sold me a pflueger 1806. I got it home and while it appears to be well made, it dont cast worth and dern. The line does not come off smooth and it catches on something after about 30 feet. I read some reviews on it and found some good and some bad but just about all commented that the line that is pre-spooled on them is crap.

Do you think re-spooling with better line will help or should I just go ahead and return it? If I return it, what would you guys recommend? Price is a big consideration. I would prefer a slower gear ratio, once I crank the crankbaits down to the desired depth I want to be able to keep them in the strike zone longer.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

respool it, the line reels come with are always bad. could have been on the reel for a year or more. fresh line will help it a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely respool it. I have a cheaper version of the reel you have and its a decent little reel. I'm not a fan of underspin reels but it works well. I think P Line makes a nice (although moss green) line that claims to have low memory.

If you can find it in 4 or 6 lb test, I think it would make a fine bit of improvement to your casting performance and you just might find you like that little reel.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I would return it. Most of the underspins I've used don't have a very good drag system. That is one of the top items important in any reel in light tackle. If you're looking for a good inexpensive reel try looking at the Garcia / mitchell avocet spinning reels at wally world. About $20 and work smooth with a smooth drag system. Cast 6lb line real easy. Should you decide to keep your underspin, definitely respool. I like hi vis yellow line for seeing the strikes on a somewhat slack line. Tight lines...
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to keep it I would respool with a lighter line. It probably came with a cheap 10lb line. Try 6lb or 4lb Berkley XL.

Post Thanks / Like

As the other guys have said, respooling will be a big help, but I agree with skeetbum. A good spinning reel would be better for casting. You don't have to spend that much more money to get a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same reel and yes respool it,the line that comes on the reel is junk. I used 4# and it works great with a 5 1/2 foot rod.

if your looking to cast a long distance look at the avocet # WM 20.00 and will do the job well. Holds up to 6# line

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. I think I am leaning towards giving the $20 Wal-Mart reel a try. At that price I can afford to re-spool the pflueger and keep it for a dock shooting rod to be purchased in the spring.
    I got 350 heads on a 305 engine.
    I get 6 miles to the gallon.
    I aint got no good intentions.

Post Thanks / Like

B&M makes a nice little rod for dock shooting that works good with it. about 5 1/2 ft and runs about 20 dollars I have one and love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-spooled lines are CRAP. A good, cheap, LIMP mono would be Trilene XL Smooth Casting. I use it on my Zebco 11 Spincaster for Crappie & Bluegill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast